All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:16 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

I have a really bad habit of having my characters lose a family member or friend, even before page one. They will be an orphan, missing a parent, their best friend died when they were five. It always happens.

Check out my new Horror RP, The House of Ebony Wood! Open and Looking for Players!
Interest Check
OOC Topic
IC Thread

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:57 pm 

Only limiting myself to one or two roleplays.

Blog: View Blog (3)

Almost all of my characters have two or three of my many negative traits (Blunt, Nosy, Territorial, Overemotional, etc)

Beta Interest Check! :)

Muh waifs.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:18 pm 

I have a tendency to make more males than females. While I do enjoy a female character every now and then, I'd rather rp males. And, when it comes to my males, they are either really macho or extremely feminine; there's not a whole lot of in between. They're almost always homosexual. I don't know why, but it's what I like. My females are pretty standard; skirts, long hair, they'll kick your ass you so much as look at them wrong XD

But with all of my characters, no matter the gender, age, species, sexuality, etc. I tend to....make them broken? They seem all put together on the outside, but inside they can't seem to find enough super glue to put their pieces back together. :/ A really bad habit I wish I could break. It could be something small like 'I hate myself, boohoo' to 'no one will except me the way I am and, while I seem okay, it really bothers me'. Just a bunch of drama..... I apologize to both my current partners and any future partners I have. >.>

Oh!! Also, I tend to make them young.... Like the 19-26 range. Maybe a little older or younger.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 pm 

I pretty much play male characters 99% of the time...A Habit I picked up because when I started to RPG most people played female. They are always around 6 feet and have a middle, hidden or nickname. When it comes to traits I have a soft spot for honesty (not always in a good way) and they tend to have a (overly) protective side to them as well. They generally have father issues one way or another. For my female characters (which are made out of 1 base concept X3) they are confident, outspoken, sarcastic and always have a pet or a sweettooth. I generally try not to make my babes into sob-stories, even if they have a darker background and when I make a strong character I tend to add a phobia to balance it out (or just for giggles). My sheets and backstories are usually rather long and detailed (specially concerning their history).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:55 am 

Medals: 2
Most Helpful Member (1) Contest Winner (1)

I used to primarily play males, but I've taken to females lately as well, so I suppose I'm at 50/50 now. Interestingly, my females have often been abrasive and standoffish, while my males are generally mellow and calculating. And, despite genders, I have an odd fascination for characters with some form of crafting skills- characters who are good with their hands, that is. Musicians, mechanics, smiths, that sort of thing.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:29 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

I tend to play characters who are really hot-blooded.
'S I stay away from more serious, gritty works where that kind of character would put a strain on things.

Some of my female characters might be more down-to-earth, but it's pretty rare.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:56 am 

I thought about this a while ago, and I realized a few things.

My female characters are what I call the warrior woman with a thousand faces. Sometimes she is violent, like a warrior or a secret agent, or sometimes she's a user, which is violent in a different way, but she is always vibrant, passionate and emotional, positively or negatively.

My male characters are the opposite. They're usually quiet, contemplative and deal with their emotions internally. They're usually always warriors, but they love quietly and commit their violence unemotionally. Their passion is shown in their thoroughness. Unfortunately this makes them difficult to write for, and people usually aren't interested in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

I used to make characters with a tough as nails exterior with a soft interior, personality wise.

Really don't have a standard anymore though, especially with the last few 1x1s I had a few years before I found CF.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:39 am 

Medals: 1
Contest Winner (1)

I have a nasty habit of creating more-than-average powerful characters, either with more bravado than their skills warrant or with serious self-esteem issues. I also have a tendency towards well-educated characters or prodigies. If my character follows a specific class/race/whatever, I always try to make it as opposite to the stereotype as possible.

Oh, and my female characters tend to have a rather tomboy or "bad girl" attitude.

The Shards United!..?
SuperVillain Weekly OOC / SuperVillain Weekly IC
Sengoku Jidai: Aspiring Daimyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I like choosing one specific trait sometimes (tough, nice, motherly) and take it as far into the extreme as I can while still keeping the character with a 'human' personality.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:21 am 

Crossing my fingers to see some familiar faces here soon

Best Couple (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

I have the urge to write as the "Struggling with emotions monster types." More often than not for romances, they are monstrous literally (Vampires or other monsters) or figuratively (abrasive, violent, murderer) but are struggling on the inside with themselves, and need a helping hand. That helping hand tends to be the other chars love, even as he/she pushes them away.

"Don't Lose That 'Little Spark of Madness' "-Personality Test Website.
And you thought I did not fit in here. =)

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 am 

Sort of back.

Marco wrote:
I have the urge to write as the "Struggling with emotions monster types." More often than not for romances, they are monstrous literally (Vampires or other monsters) or figuratively (abrasive, violent, murderer) but are struggling on the inside with themselves, and need a helping hand. That helping hand tends to be the other chars love, even as he/she pushes them away.

And I have to add that he does it really well XD

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:59 pm 

http://mcpainty.corgiorgy.com/

I have a tendency to play characters almost the exact opposite of what everyone else is playing. For example, if people are playing a lot of military veterans who have all sorts of guns and stuff, I'll play a guy who hasn't even seen a gun in real life, let alone know how to use one. If people are playing a lot of happy-go-lucky characters, I'll play the stick in the mud. If they are playing the stick in the mud, I'll playing the comical dude that lightens to mood. I don't know why, I just do.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:38 pm 

Crossing my fingers to see some familiar faces here soon

Best Couple (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

I try very hard to make brand new and unique characters both physically. (Hair, eyes, facial structure) yet still handsome, beautiful, imperfect, or average. Also emotionally and personality wise. (There thoughts, actions, feelings) yet not too unbelievable or so philosophical that my partner gets confused.

Safe to say, My characters only turn out that way every 1 in 10 of them.
Heh... ^_^

"Don't Lose That 'Little Spark of Madness' "-Personality Test Website.
And you thought I did not fit in here. =)

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:18 pm 

I have to stick with what I like, and what feels authentic for me. I don't take on roles for which I feel no affinity, in the name of "something new", or filling some gap.

When I consider joining a new story, I either pretty quickly have a character concept I like, and want to play, or else I don't. I learned early on trying to force the process doesn't produce a result I'm happy with.

At some point in the process, a name strikes me, and once it has, it's virtually impossible for me to change it to something else. Other names usually just feel wrong, after that point.

Pictures are usually one of the very last things I add to a character. Often, it's a struggle to find one I'm happy with. Once in a while, some picture really inspires me, and I work backward from there. But those are very rare exceptions.

-Heather Nova, Winter Blue

Hawkgirl: "Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop."
Superman: "You're always bad cop."
Hawkgirl: "Why play against type?"
Urd: "I'll just be Santa's little helper...so to speak."

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 am 

Original Character (1) December 2015 (1)

All the biotic characters that I've created for RP have some sort of favourite food that they - absolutely - love and crave from time to time, or that they discover they enjoy a tad too much during the roleplay. I don't know, I just think that food and how they consume it speaks a lot for a character... Or I'm just always hungry. Most likely the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm 

Tendencies... I have a tendency when I start creating a character I take a look at myself. I need to know how I would picture myself in this character. How would I react to situations and what would I do/say. I usually look at a scenario and think... Who would I like to be?
Probably based in a year long identity crisis. XD
All of my characters tends to be "broken" in some ways, whether it's past experiences, something they're afraid of, or something entirely different.
I do love quirky characters since I'm quite quirky myself. I'd always throw in something rather unexpected if it won't ruin the plot/roleplay.
For some reason a lot of my female characters are close to insane, most of my rather successful female characters are so far from normal. XD
Mostly my characters tends to be male, since we had a shortage of them when I started roleplaying and it felt more comfortable because "boys could do a lot more than girls" which made it feel easier. If you roleplayed a girl you would have to be so perfect and pretty and at that point I couldn't figure out how to make female characters that fit my personality. I am not a very girly girl and I like doing stuff boys do. XD
When roleplaying boys it's okay to be naughty, not to listen, get into fights, cause trouble etc. if a girl did those things back where I roleplayed in 2008-2011 people would just look at me and ask.. "What the heck are you doing?" XD
My first really succesful "girl" character was actually able to change gender.. This character came to be my journey from all boys to a few more girls XD

When I begin a roleplay I don't know much about my character, I decide along the way and figure out how it would be best. It's annoying spending hours creating a character when s/he doesn't work when you're roleplaying.
Which backfires as well when I try to fit the same characters into several roleplays. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and I have to admit defeat. XD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:32 pm 

I strongly prefer to invent my own names, if I'm playing in a fantasy setting, where the setting has no basis in our own world. I avoid apostrophes religiously, unless their use is already established in a setting's naming convention.

When I am playing in an Earth based setting, or Earth like, that draws upon a particular culture, I always research names online to find something suitable and appropriate.

Roughly half my characters have been/will be left handed. I'm a southpaw in real life, and it's one of just a few real life traits I like to carry over to my characters.

-Heather Nova, Winter Blue

Hawkgirl: "Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop."
Superman: "You're always bad cop."
Hawkgirl: "Why play against type?"
Urd: "I'll just be Santa's little helper...so to speak."

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm 

By the power of Grayskull!!

Probably one of my favorite things to do when making characters for roleplays is to take something that people associate with being kinda lazy and half-baked, and actually putting effort and detail into more than just the name.

Exhibit A. A while back, I made a Saiyan character for IRC roleplay combat. Instead of being a royal pain in the ass like Vegeta with little backstory or explanation who exists only to spam x200 Big Bang Kamehamehas in battle, which is what most of the Saiyan characters I've experienced turn out to be, he's a bit more of an outsider, having been disowned by his family due to a certain birth defect - he doesn't have a right arm - and then having lost the neighboring planet that he grew up on to Frieza's empire. This adopted home was inhabited by a very engineering-focused culture, and he was able to (with some help from his "mother") build a bionic arm to act in the stead of his missing one. He's passionate about mechanics instead of fighting, which he associates with judgement and abandonment through the Saiyan race, but he begrudgingly learned fighting techniques (including ki manipulation and flight) after deeming it a necessary survival skill. Despite his distaste towards combat, he is still driven to become stronger, but only to overcome an inferiority complex caused by the aforementioned missing arm - he doesn't give a damn about being the strongest in the galaxy, or having an actual challenge. He just wants to prove the family that abandoned him wrong. In addition, he also seeks to pass down the knowledge of the planet that had adopted him, is fiercely protective of his arm as it's one of the few surviving pieces of the planet's technology, and doesn't interact well with other Saiyans due to a small grudge about being deemed not worthy enough to be a part of their culture.

Yeah, he's a lot like Hephaestus from Greek mythology - kicked out of his home for not being perfect, but becoming a master at his craft to spite his race and show them that he's better than them. Only instead of being accepted back into the society of Planet Vegeta, this particular Saiyan goes off on a journey to see if any members of the race that took him in when he was young have survived the genocide of their world.

Also, on the more combat-based side of things, he doesn't rely on the most recent and most powerful Super Saiyan transformations in combat - heck, I'm not even sure if he'd ever choose to wield SSJ1! - and doesn't use moves that other Dragon Ball characters use. Instead, his fighting style is focused more around his bionic arm and the cool **** that it can do. Granted, he can use ki attacks with his left hand when he deems them necessary, but they aren't as powerful as the ki attacks of other fighters.

John Cena Theme MIDI. Because why not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:00 am 

Sort of back.

Making that character that looks as perfect as a cupcake and then making them as broken as I possibly can on the inside is one of my favorite pastimes.

My character Marissa is the poster child for that. She is cute, she is outgoing, and sweet... and batshit crazy. All of a sudden, something snaps in her head and she slips into this other personality who not only is a royal ****ing, she's also intent on screwing up the nice one's life as much as she can.

Needless to say, I had so much fun playing this character it was not even decent.