View Likes PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (7)

Yo peeps. I got a question for you all!

I kind of did this thing where I sort of disappeared off the face of the earth because I lost my motivation to write. This has happened to me several times before and I'm curious about if anyone else has ever had these long pauses/hiatus from writing due to lack of motivation? Maybe it was something else took over your life and you couldn't bring yourself to keep up with your current RPs or maybe you were just stuck and had no motivation or anything really.

Anything at all that made you take a break from roleplaying/writing.

Also, after this break, how did you get back into the swing of things? Did you just join a whole bunch of RPs? Found a writing partner that inspired you again?

TELL ME ALL YOUR SECRETS- I mean... what's up? >.>

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: All The Questions!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I'm glad you brought this up, as it's something I'm actually going through right now.

This is the first real 'pause' I've had in a long time, and, I'll be honest, it's rough. I want to write but I'm kind of in this odd limbo where I want to keep going with some of my current rps but also want something new. If I found something new, I don't want to feel like I have completely abandoned my partners. You know?

I don't really know what causes me to get into these moods. Maybe it is lack of something to inspire me, I don't know; it really could be a lot of things.

I think the whole 'writing every day' thing is easier said than done. If you have nothing, you'll end up just staring at a blank page and getting frustrated. At least, this is the case with me.

As for coming back into the swing of things? Sometimes it's random, sometimes I get an idea. It really depends. Trial and error, I suppose. I kind of poke around a bit, and keep writing down ideas until I figure something out.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

I know exactly how you feel. I'm just coming out of a several months hiatus because I lost motivation. I didn't lose interest and I actually had a really intriguing idea I was excited about but then for some reason I just lost all the motivation and will power to start it up and left it before it could even begin.

Maybe it's because right now I just have a lot of free time on my hand that I'm being more active? It is sort of the case of what happened last time, when the last time I had so much free time I was extremely active on the site.

I hate the idea of "writing everyday". Everyone for the longest time told me to do this when I was beginning my writing thing and I HATED IT. I don't want to write when I don't feel like writing. I want to write when I'm excited and inspired and motivated to do great! Of course that doesn't happen all the time. I'm also such a lazy person. Lazy. Lazy person.

So lazy.

I appreciate the input. It's nice to know I'm not all alone in the burden of losing motivation. I felt so bad when I was in current RPs that I just couldn't get the motivation up to write even though I was super interested in the idea. As for trying to get into the swings of things, I guess I'll just try and join whatever RP I can right now and hope for the best!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:15 am 

limits are a mindset

Subscriber

Medals: 2
Longest RP (1) Adaptive (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Old thread but I thought I'd leave my 2cents here. I've been there, in that same exact situation. A lot of times it was due to things at work keeping me busy, or a number of unpredictable factors unrelated to work that required all of my free time and focus. Actually, I've seen other roleplay buddies who've been through the same. Work had some of them crippled with anxiety or physical fatigue and that sometimes affects 'motivation'. One is too tired mentally or physically to write. Then at the same time, you have your circle of friends who want to get out and socialize with you and you have to give them some of your time too. And sometimes organizing your time to make sure you never take long breaks from writing can be an unforeseeable thing, and there are only enough hours in a day to put choices and priorities first.

Getting caught up in the same daily routine sometimes can kill your muse for writing. I and other roleplay buddies of mine have been in situations where we had to take long breaks while we were in the process of writing amazing stories and plotting others. And we find ourselves hoping that when we return, we can still feel the 'magic' that brought us together to write in the first place. There is something with 'motivation' that we just can't control.

As far as I'm concerned, whenever I return from a long break, I find that it's very tempting to want to join multiple RPs at the same time. All that energy, or muse, that I thought I've lost for writing suddenly comes back like adrenaline flowing through me. In that case I would still hold myself from joining multiple RPs at once because, in past experiences, I ended up burning out after couple months. I think that after a long break, it's important to keep the weekly write-time low for at least the first month until one is fully prepared to take on more RPs.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 pm 

I'm ALIVE! I think...

Mentor

3rd Year (1)

I really like the advice about taking it slow when coming back from a long break of writing. When I came back I was like "Wanna join all the roleplays!" but then that energy faded pretty quickly afterwards. Thank you for the input! It's been actually really insightful haha.