All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:07 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

The wars were so long ago nobody even remembers. Darkness and fear ruled until the time of the barons, seven men and women who forged order out of chaos. People flocked to them for protection. That protection became servitude. They banished guns and trained armies of lethal fighters they called Clippers. This world is built on blood. Nobody is innocent here. Welcome to the Badlands.

Into The Badlands
AMC

So far, this show is not living up to the hype. The plot is weak and the characters do not support one another well. They vacillate and behave incongruently. The first episode was weak, but the second one caught my eye. It got a lot better and I am crossing my fingers it will continue to improve. There are only four more shows left in this series and it could be cut if it doesn't pick up.

My interest is in the back story; the story line. I am a sucker for Martial Arts stories especially ones involving Feudal Japan. This story does not focus on Feudal Japan, but rather a hybrid version of a Post-Apocalyptic and Feudal Japan setting. Instead of Daimyos and Samurai, we have Barons and Clippers.

I am curious to do a Role Play along the story idea of Into the Badlands. I have a few ideas we could take. If there are others who enjoy Post Apocalyptic in a Feudal Japan setting, please show your interest below.

Which style do you prefer? (Listed in order of my preference)
Alpha
In the Cave
Beta
I do not have time for Omega because it relies on the author to be on line for an extended period of time. I prefer to write out a three to nine paragraph (or more) post and be done.

Standard Group Role Play v. Nation Role Play?
I have yet to experience an NRP on this site. On the site I used to frequent over two years ago, they were quite common. Given the setting of Into the Badlands, the NRP would work perfectly. The cannon story has seven Barons who control an unspecified tract of land and all the inhabitants of this land. The Baron may be male or female. The inhabitants are either Clippers (soldiers/samurai) in the Baron's army or workers in any of the various enterprises. Firearms are not used at all; melee weapons, both blunt and edged are the weapons of choice for this universe.

If we choose an NRP, we could lay out plots of land about the size of a Virginia County. Each author of the Role Play takes on the role of the Baron. They would create a character sheet for their primary character, the Baron and then list important people within their hierarchy. The author controls the actions of all characters within their own "county" or territory their Baron controls.

Characters
If we decide to pursue a traditional group RP, there are more than a few styles of characters we can pursue, depending on the plotline. Clippers in the Badlands are trained in martial arts. I don 't want to get into styles. In today's world many of those who do train, will learn a variety of styles. The dojo I train at teaches elements of Kempo, Muay Thai and BJJ. Clippers are also trained in the use of a weapon. They may have experience in more than one weapon, but will have one weapon that is their primary. It is the one they have the most skill with.

There are artisans who vary between medical professionals to manufacturing and engineers. Automobiles still work and someone is crafting those swords. There is room in this RP for this class of character as well.

Many of the characters in this story are farmers or laborers. They work the land and provide food and raw materials that artisans can then turn into finished products.

There is a rare group of character who possess other worldly gifts. I will call them mystics. These characters have no clue how they received their gift or how to control them. One of the main characters in the story, M.K. appears to be an average teenage boy. But M.K. possesses a dark energy that one of the Barons wants to harness into a weapon. In the first episode of the series, M.K. gets into a fight and defeats his opponent quickly. His eyes turn black, as if he were possessed by a demon and other worldly powers rise to the surface. These dark abilities take over his existence and fight for him. They don't appear to be magical, but more like crude sith abilities. M.K. has no control over these powers and they appear to surface when he is threatened.

Each Baron has a family; royalty. How big his or her family is can be up to us the authors. These people are treated like royalty and receive special treatment. They have all the best things in life, while the farmers and laborers are usually dirty and scruffy looking.

Plot Ideas
County War - Two Barons wage war on one another. Our characters are stuck in the middle of the war and must fight to survive. The Barons themselves are NPCs. Story can include Royalty, Clippers, Laborers or Artisans.

Court Appeal - We could explore the interactions of the royal family. In this concept, we choose one county to write about. The authors take on the roles of Royalty and may include a senior clipper or artisan close to the family. Farmers and Laborers are NPCs. Story can include Baron, Royalty, Clippers and Artisans.

The Mystic - One of our characters has these other worldly gifts. This idea explores the potenital of dark abilities open to the rare few. No one is aware of them except the primary character himself (or herself). When the Barons discover this ability they attempt to lure him or her into their camp. The Barons, farmers and Laborers are NPCs. Story includes Royalty, Clippers, the mystic and artisans.

The Quest - A group of adventurers from any of the classes are pulled together in search of some artifact. They all come from the same county and will include one rare mystic class of character. This is more of a D&D style RP with one or two clippers, a mystic and maybe an artisan or two. Barons are NPCs. Story includes Royalty, Clippers, Mystic and artisans

Open ended - From the diverse array of characters we participants create we work together on a plot that ties all the characters together in some manner. This would be a purely creative endeavor.

If you are interested, please write your comments below. Let me know the style you prefer, which character class interests you, which plot idea you like, whether you prefer a group RP or an NRP and link a thread you are currently contributing to, so I can read your style. If you are new to CF:RPG, then link your resume in Member Listings so I can see both how you like and what you are interested in. Also, if you have a plot idea not listed above, include that in your post.

Thank you

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace