All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:12 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

IC Thread

The Premise
Ancient ruins from the past are a staple of the Legend of Zelda series. One question that comes to my mind has always been, "Was there ever a point when any of this served a purpose?"
Especially since the label of "Temple" becomes common in the series and the characters do sometimes ascribe spiritual significance to these locations, even if some of them are in states of disrepair.

Enter the Hyrule Archaeological Institute. An group of people who have taken it upon themselves to study the ancient history, legends, and ruins of Hyrule, recover lost artifacts, and perhaps even restore some of these locations for modern use.

This roleplay will play up the sense of history and exploration from the series, and won't be so heavy on the whole "saving the world from evil" element.

Setting Concerns

This can be a collaborative effort, so feel free to introduce your own details and takes on the universe when your character is talking about their areas of expertise. If it's something major, we can discuss it in the OOC here and reach a consensus.
Mostly since this is collaborative freeform and I'm not going to be a DM that handles ALL the lore of the roleplay (little more work than I want to do for this one, this time).

To start though, I'll just address a few ground-level points.

1. This takes place "after" the various games in the series, an unspecified amount of time.
2. It doesn't follow a particular timeline (though there isn't a Great Sea or anything like that). Consider it a theoretical "merged timeline" of sorts.
3. Things aren't much more modern than usual for Zelda, though the anachronistic technological elements of the series are a bit more pronounced. So keep that in mind.
4. There is not a current Princess Zelda, anybody named Link, and they won't be showing up for this roleplay.

Character Guidelines

All right. So I'm not going to give you a particular skeleton, just give you a few guidelines to follow.

1. No canon characters or derivatives thereof.
2. Your character can be from another country (Labrynna, Holodrum, etc.), but not from another world (Lorule, Termina, etc.)
3. No, you can't play an awesome full-blooded immortal Sheikah that knows all the secrets of Hyrule. You can play other unusual monsters though, like a Stalfos or something (just again, nothing that's been around for hundreds of years).
4. You get one artifact item that should be a specific item taken from one of the games. You can feel free to take a bit of liberty with the item's abilities, but not too much. You can have other equipment, the point of this item is it's actually the one used by Link during the events of that particular game. You can have other equipment, like a bow, but it won't be a historical relic like, say, the Fairy Bow from Ocarina of Time.

Last edited by Dawn ✭ Quixotic on Thu May 12, 2016 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:49 pm 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Attachment:
Ares.jpg
Ares.jpg [ 130.03 KiB | Viewed 12001 times ]

Name: Ares Zenith
Race: Elf
Job: Archeologist
Speciality: Deciphering Ancient Runes
Hobby: Growing Plants
Artefact:
Magic Seed Pouch (Grows Plants with different effects)
Restriction: needs to spend actual enchanted seeds to use.

Powers: Magic. Own Magic: Plant growing , Plant binding, some Healing. Seed spells: ( Hurricane, Confusion, Flames, Mystic, Monster lure )
Weapon: Magic Staff. Magic book. Seed Pouch

Personality:
A very free spirited elf, that somewhat contradicts the pampered life of nobles, however he is not free of the typical arrogance of elves and nobles. While Ares is not actually unfriendly and condescending towards others, the typical elven voidness of emotions and detachment does show in his personality.
He is an avid researcher of ancient languages and rarely shows interest in other things than his research or archaeologic findings. While he is no close combat fighter, he can use decent magic, some lesser healing spells. Moreover, as an elf he is quite agile.
He is careful and rational when exploring. Due to the magical profession with low attacking potential and his cautious nature he usually looks for other mates before exploring dungeons. His seed pouch can only fit a limited number of seeds so he is saving them for emergencies. You may see him using his staff to finish off monsters because he does not want to use seed spells to fight.
He is a little bit of a miser.
Ares has experience in adventuring and exploring, but he is not a team player. It may happen that he suddenly strays from the path to explore ancient inscriptions or something else that piqued his interest, forgetting about his teammates! This can get him and others in trouble.

History:
Being a noble, Ares Zenith would have been living quite well and wealthy in Labyrinna. However, his interest for ancient languages and artefacts made him roam labyrinna, holodrum and now Hyurule for old caves and inscriptions. It is rumored that Ares listened to many stories about Zelda and Link while young, thats why he tries to follow their footsteps. However, he will never confirm this rumor himself.
Another rumor at the Institute is that he is a very distant relative to Zeldas nobility line - but then again, many years have passed and nobody can confirm this. And Ares is not the kind of elf that talks about his family to others. Given that he left and forfeited his inheritance for his archaeology profession it is not known which nobility line he actually was from.

He often gives guest professor lectures about deciphering Ancient Runes and Languages at the Hyurule Archaeological Institute. But free spirited as he is, he is more often inside his study or out adventuring looking for more Runic samples to decode.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 pm 

Name: Oboro
Race: Goron
Artifact: Cane of Somaria (magic staff that creates blocks)
Specializations: Goron history and culture, ancient technology
Magic: Oboro has learned a single magic spell, which allows him to shrink down to a shorter, thinner form more in line with human proportions, so as to better fit in tight corridors of ruins. Usually he stands about twice the size of a human and several times as broad.

Brought on primarily to be the muscle of the Institute's primary dig group, Oboro also has a keen interest in the machines and contraptions of ancient civilizations.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:16 pm 

Posted up the IC here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49945

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 pm 

gotcha :)

aand posted :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:22 am 

You can feel free to use the Director as an NPC.
He's just there to exposit/give us assignments. So feel free to step in if you have an idea (though I have some to go ahead with either way).
He's just going to be there, invisible behind his overcrowded desk of papers and books.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:39 pm 

ah I see.
I only had the Idea to
1. get some side chars to join for the time being
2. would suggest it with zenith in my next post: using some of his Pupils as cannon fodder *chuckle* :D
so we can go ahead with what you had in mind ofc.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:46 pm 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Attachment:
Glitch.jpg
Glitch.jpg [ 30.04 KiB | Viewed 11877 times ]

Name: Glitch
Country: While the Water Town of Saria would generally be considered to be part of the nation of Hyrule, Glitch still insists that this is his native country irrespective of the political sensitivities that would have otherwise surrounded something like this. This might have something to do with the fact that faeries don't really seem to respect the same political definitions that full sized individuals do. They instead seemingly answer primarily to the faeries' queen.

Race: Faerie, though perhaps water sprite might even be a more accurate description of his species
Age: Approximately 70, considering the seeming timelessness of faeries as well as the fact that his people probably keep time quite differently than most would otherwise.

Specialties: Considering the sort of love for history and their own lore that faeries seem to have, it makes sense that Glitch would hold many skills in the field of museum curation and the work of a conservator-restorationist as well.

Hobby: Fishing

Artifact: Bug-Catching Net, which allows magical bees and faeries to be restrained then bottled.
Restrictions: As though it were not ironic enough for Glitch to have control over an object that was once used to hold his people hostage, he's far too diminutive to use it very often. Honestly he feels that having it in his control is for his people's benefit considering that it means no one can misuse it against the other faeries that way. Fortunately for him it seems that aches, who are blue bat-like creatures that attack by swooping, are also susceptible to the power of this net.

Powers: Healing is perhaps the best known of all the faeries' abilities, and like most others he can easily heal others and himself, which might also help to account for the extended lifespan that his people enjoy. On top of this, he has gossamer insectoid wings that protrude from his back, but are generally pressed up against it to render them functionally invisible. These can be extended in order to allow him to fly. It's certainly necessary considering the need to get out of bad situations at his reduced size.

Personality: For better or worse, there are several major stereotypes that are associated with most of his kind. Faeries are often thought of as mischievous tricksters at best. Some people believe that they have far more nefarious plans at hand. They might instead think of them as people who are really ready to actually cause chaos whenever they see order. These are, however, stereotypes from Glitch's point of view.

While he certainly does prefer to receive a certain level of respect, he wouldn't ever go out of his way to be anything but gregarious. That's often surprising to those who have any sort of preconceived notion in regards to faeries. He's actually quite cooperative and friendly unless someone displeases him. At one point in the history of Hyrule it was quite common to try and put his kind into bottles in order to force them to act as healers against their will. While he would of course heal anyone who was in need who appropriately asked him to do so, he did not at all appreciate the many who tried to capture his kind to force them to work.

Should this ever be a condition then in that case he would certainly become quite irate to say the least. While he might not have much in the way of offensive magical power, he could at least flitter around and act like an annoying biting insect if the situation called for it. Some situations really would call for that sort of thing. Notably he was the type who was unusually quick to point out the fact that creatures like mosquitoes were among the most dangerous around. Glitch was never the type to assume that size mattered at all.

History: Travelers coming to the Water Town of Saria meant one thing above everything else as far as faeries were concerned, and that was destruction of their original cultural resources. They were afraid that over time these precious things would be completely annihilated. The culture that they had worked so incredibly hard to build had already started to vanish considering the dominance of Hylian and other civilizations. This dominance was rather easy to exert. His people were small and easily forgotten.

Many different expressions of a coming faerie revival movement came, and his particular expression came in the form of preservation of cultural materials. While many of his kind focused on new works of arts, construction of new defensive structures and the like, Glitch felt that it might have been best to instead work very hard to restore many of the traditional arts and objects that were associated with his people. To this end he uncovered a bug-catching net that was once used to restrain his people, but since this wasn't exactly something that many wanted to remember he quickly inherited it personally.

This sort of coolness honestly bothered him. If people were just going to forget history, then eventually they were going to end up repeating it. Even the uncomfortable stories from history would have to be remembered in order to ensure that people weren't going to have to suffer from the same mistakes that they made in the past. People of any species shouldn't have to undergo the same trials that they had in the past just because someone today finds ignoring past lessons to be politically expedient in the modern era. Political correctness was never an excuse for anything in his book.

Nevertheless, he's ended up studying the history of many different societies as a result and has a certain knack for such work. To this end, he hopes to encourage the cooperation of those in the archaeological profession across cultural lines. Regardless of whether they might be a Hylian, a Faerie or a member of any other race, Glitch would prefer that they work together to preserve everyone's culture. He's poised to defend himself as best as he could if anything else were the case.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:55 am 

Great, I'll let you go ahead and post IC next, then.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:28 pm 

Really, I'm quite sorry about the delays. They were due to my real life technology problems. I hope that my introduction post was all right and that I'll be able to just move along now. I mentioned before, but Glitch's name is a reference to the character's naming scheme in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:46 pm 

Ari told me she's going to be gone for a bit, so I figured, we could maybe do a bit of a side story before going on the mission, after she gets back. Where Oboro and Glitch can get into some trouble around Castle Town at night or something.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 am 

Oh sure, that sounds fair. Are we keeping this all in the same thread in that case, or is the side quest going to end up in a separate side quest IC thread?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:18 pm 

It'll be the same thread, Ari's character just won't be present for that bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:41 am 

yeah, I will be gone till early june. So you guys dont have to wait for those and can continue. Posted Zenith exiting as well now :) omw in the train and can finish up some posts <3

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:54 pm 

Well please do take your time, there's no rush getting back, and I posted in the IC thread today to continue with just the two of us for the time being. I apologize for my own delays, but I've been having some computer problems lately.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:41 pm 

Just to let you know, I will post sometime this weekend on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm 

Please never feel like you have to rush on anything. I like the RP, but I wouldn't hold you to some kind of schedule at all!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 pm 

*raises hand* I can say I am slowly getting back into action. (Though still busy)
So, do I just randomly post whenever or shall I wait for you to finish this evening?
I could just write that my character just ate and slept through the day... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:38 pm 

Anything is fine really, I don't mind if we even just stick to some sort of a casual system where people are allowed to come and go as they need to, as long as people are allowed to post around them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:06 pm 

We can wait for you to post next, Ari. Unless Aero does? I think I had the last post IC? Right? Gotta check again...