All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:52 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

With the approval of both the prince and the priest, Harry figured that to be a settled deal. Taking half a step out of the conversation, enough to look behind him, Harry had moved to address the advisor.
Harry's lips had already parted, though his words stalled at the sight that met him. The sheer look of exasperation that Harry barely caught a glimpse of was nothing short of humorous, and for a moment, Harry couldn't help but feel pleased that the man had been forced to accommodate their change of plans.
"Sir," Harry finally addressed the advisor in French, both voice and expression returning to a polite pleasantness. "Did you hear? We will walk the church."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:18 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

It was very juvenile and extremely petty, but every single time Bartholomew made a face at something Harry said or did, Draco found that he liked their foreign friend more and more. Harry seemed to be ballsy in a way that Draco would never dare be, knowing that too many eyes were on him and there were too many expectations to him. Thus, it was nice to see that someone else dared to step up.
“It won’t take long,” Draco assured Bartholomew, even if he had no way of knowing how long it would actually take them. Draco had no intention of rushing Father Jean after all and he did think that Harry should get to properly enjoy the church.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:59 pm 

"Of course, sire - your highness," the advisor agreed, his expression having changed into a more pleasant one as soon as the prince had interjected. There was, however, still a hesitation about him, clearly finding himself unprepared for the prince to continue on foot. "We will follow you."
Harry smiled at that, unexpectedly pleased that it hadn't been insisted that they viewed the church from horse back. Generally, Harry had with age grown disinterested in experiencing cities from that high of an angle.
"Good," Harry said to the prince and the priest, when he really meant to say lovely. The architecture of the church was much easier to feign interest in, and with an invitation that maybe wasn't his to give, Harry bared his palm in the direction of the church. "Shall we?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:16 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

“Do what you must,” Draco stated in French, knowing that that wasn’t a particularly princely way of responding, but he was exhausted by having to have an entourage with him constantly. More than anything, he wanted to get to spend some time alone, or even together with their foreign guest, just without a flock of guards directly on his heel.
“Let’s go,” he stated, now in Latin, his tone much softer than it had been before. He hoped that Bartholomew and the guards would stay back and allow them to just take a tour and get to talk about the amazing piece of work that it was.
“Lead the way if you’d like father, you know this church better than anyone.”
Father Jean chuckled at that, knowing that the young prince was probably a strong contender to being someone who knew the church better than himself.
“Only just, dear Draco, only just,” he stated, the informality of using the prince’s first name slipping from his tongue as they returned to a subject they had discussed so many times before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 am 

Though the prince kindly had started the conversation in their common language, Harry briefly seemed at a loss, doubting his own otherwise fluent understanding of what the price had said.
Thoughtlessly, Harry had glanced up at the towering church wall by their side, half expecting too see either a dragon or the Christian serpent twisting among the saints depicted above the doorway. Only when he didn't see any did he seem to understand the weight of the priest's phrasing.
In a gesture that was less that princely, Harry's eyes darted back to the prince the surprise clear in his expression. While his lips had parted to ask for an immediate elaboration, a smile took their place, momentarily replacing the look of surprise with one of almost childish thrill.
"Your name is Draco, your highness?" Harry asked without thinking, the hairs on his neck inexplicably standing at the familiarity of the prince's name, Harry's greek mother tongue shining through as he said it.
Then, almost immediately after, Harry doubted his comment had been approrpiate. Though it wasn't uncommon for Harry to know the given name of royalties, it was certainly uncommon for it ever to be useful knowledge.
The royal guard had set their horses into a walk, following them in a semi circle encompassed by the wall; though Harry couldn't see him, he knew the royal advisor was within earshot. And yet, Harry's eyes continued to linger on the prince, his smile easy as ever.
It was only when he spoke when he mercifully divided his attention between the two men. Looking over at the priest, Harry's addition was intended to soften the prying nature of his question. "Like the constellation, isn't it?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:56 pm 

Even if the intention with the comment seemed harmless enough, Draco could still feel his heart drop in his chest at the mention of the constellation. He had had so many conflicting, and utterly sinful, thoughts in his time that he hadn’t been able to stop thinking about the connection he had with his namesake,.
After all, it seemed a little too appropriate that he was named after a snake, the first snake even, when his head was constantly filled with thoughts that he knew to be wrong. It made him sick to his stomach to know that his name gave away so much.
He glanced briefly over at father Jean, realising that the priest too had gone quiet, knowing the exact implication of Draco’s name in relation to the constellations, but unsure if he should voice that to their foreign friend.
In the end, Draco decided that he couldn’t keep not answering their guest, even if the thought of Harry knowing him like that made him sick to his stomach.
“Yes,” he eventually answered, gaze turned down, almost as if in shame. “Draco, like the constellation.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm 

By the way the prince - Draco - adverted his eye, Harry understood he had overstepped, addressing the prince with too much familiarity. Though knowing the biblical passage of the garden of Eden, Harry lacked enough understanding of the cultural implications of those particular verses to fully understand the hurt in the prince's expression. Regardless, it made Harry feel out of his depth.
"It's a beautiful name," Harry continued, his voice both considerably more gentle despite the grandeur of his adjective.
The smile remained, but there was an air of insecurity about him. He himself had stalled in his steps, and for a moment, his eyes darted between the prince and the advisor, who, as Harry had stopped, had come into his peripheral field of vision. "Greek."
The addition came almost mindlessly, making it come across as more genuine. His eyes returned to Draco - a young man his age, who so inexplicably disliked his name. Carefully, Harry's smile widened as if in encouragement, wanting to soften the initial offense. "It's a good story, too, that of Heracles and Ladon."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 am 

The follow up comment by Harry surprised Draco more than the first connection to the constellation had. He had had no idea that his name might have different connotations in Greek, something that made him feel a little hopeful, but he could also tell that Bartholomew and the guards were far too close for him to ask more about it.
“Don’t think that I am familiar,” he stated, figuring that that was the best way to end that particular conversation.
It wasn’t necessarily that Draco didn’t like his name, having never allowed himself to consider it enough to figure out if he actually liked it. Instead, he had always been extremely overwhelmed by the connotations that came with his name and that had been enough for him to not want to talk about it too much.
“Notice this archway though,” he stated and pointed to the church, desperate for a change of subject and buildings was something he knew how to talk about; especially this one. “An absolute feat of building genius.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 pm 

The worst tension seemed to have dissipated after the elaboration but when the prince yet again directed their conversation towards the church, Harry readily accepted it. Knowing better than to push for an actual conversation with the crown prince, Harry turned both torso and attention towards the archway in question.
Folding his hands behind his back, Harry allowed himself to properly admire the architecture. His mind was still, in part, preoccupied by the knowledge of the prince's given name - and whether or not that had been kept intentionally secretive to him.
"It's deeply impressive," Harry said, his voice and intention was genuine in spite of his divided attention.
Harry rather enjoyed the architectural differences of the European kingdoms, much more so than the interior of the churches; the cathedral just seemed to pale in comparison to the knowledge that the prince, luminous and angelic in a way that was foreign to Harry's Mediterranean heritage, was named something as familiar as Draco.
"Was it constructed by your own people?" he asked, almost out of muscle memory, having had similar conversations before. His eyes darted towards the priest and the prince respectively, not allowing his gaze to linger on either before returning to the archway. "It is simply magnificent craftsmanship."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:17 pm 

Draco was relieved beyond anything that Harry took his change of subject without any objection, feeling much more at ease with just talking about the church and not discussing the deeper meaning of his name. He did want to talk with Harry after all, wanted to get to know him and his culture and wanted to get to share his own as well.
“Yes,” he stated with a proud smile, feeling good about getting to talk about something that he actually knew and a subject that he felt as comfortable in as he did the church. It was probably in the best interest for Harry as well to just keep Draco talking about something that brought him more ease, but that didn’t mean that Draco suddenly appreciated it any less.
“It’s one of the greatest pieces of French craftsmanship that we still have standing, especially something to this scale,” he added, appreciating that father Jean was still with this, mostly because he knew that the pastor would interject or add if he felt that Draco fell short on any subject.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:33 pm 

"Yes?" Harry inquired, surprised that the prince referred to the church a matter that insinuated it to be centuries old. As Harry had traveled the continent, he had seen several churches in construction - they seemed to sprout like weeds, as Albus had used to joke throughout Harry's childhood. To him, it was hard to tell whether the building in front of him was 50 or 500 years old.
"When was it finished?" he said, once again glancing up at the church. There was no doubt in his mind that, somewhere up there, a roman numeral was carved into the stone; he maybe needn't have asked had he been paying better attention to the archways, the prince had highlighted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm 

“In my grandpa’s time I believe,” Draco stated, even though he knew for a fact that it had been finished in his grandpa’s time. Still, Draco tended to downplay his own knowledge at time, not because he thought that people wouldn’t want to listen to him, but because he knew that it was better to seem stupid and vapid at times.
While it did please him that Harry seemed interested in what he had to show and tell, Draco was still careful with not sharing too much. He really had no idea what the intentions of their foreign guest were and thus he felt like he had to stop himself from over sharing, not wanting to do something that would end up poorly for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm 

Harry nodded at that, eyes still vaguely directed at the towering structure. The simplicity of the prince's reply meant Harry hadn't learned anything of value; not that he was certain there was anything valuable to learn in the first place.
Despite Harry's best attempts, his attention had wandered. For a long moment, his eyes were resting on the prince, before, inevitably, drifting to what was beyond the prince's shoulder.
The cathedral was located in the middle of the plaza, the buildings surrounding it built intentionally stoic to compliment the towering authority of the church. Harry found that it wasn't unusual, and solely based on experience he was certain that a monastery was located somewhere within walking distance. He, however, also knew he didn't care enough to have it confirmed.
Instead, what had caught Harry's attention, was the flickers of human activity in a street leading off the plaza. Harry had yet to refocus his attention when he spoke.
"Would this be considered the town center, Your Highness?" Harry asked, eyes and attention returning to the prince. It made his smile reappear, reengaging in the conversation with new interest, now that he no longer had to force a churchly line of questioning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 pm 

The question caused Draco to move his attention away from the church and instead to the town plaza. It wasn’t something he found incredibly thrilling himself, but he could see how it would be interesting to his foreign guest and thus he wanted to indulge him.
“Yes,” he stated, trying to view his city through the eyes of a stranger and was finding that it was difficult to do so. He had never gotten to travel much himself, his father having always been fiercely protective of his sole heir, so he really had no idea of what to look for and in which way his city differed from the places that Harry had probably seen.
“Yes, I suppose that it would,” he added with a soft smile, glad to see his guest be so interested in what he was seeing. It was at least nice to know that Harry wasn’t bored of the tour just yet and potentially wanted to see even more.
“You want to see the rest of the town?”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:18 pm 

The prince answered a question Harry hadn't wanted to ask directly, but it would also be a lie to say that it didn't please Harry that it was understood. It was an awkward back and forth Harry ad engaged in plenty of times, that of letting the reigning part be the instigating, leading part.
Harry couldn't stop a smile from forming, happy to see that the prince was smiling as well.
"If I could, yes," Harry politely replied, the way his head tipped hinting at a bow that never fully formed.
"But not necessarily today. I am certain I will be interested in anything Bartholomew has planned for our day."
This too was an obligated formality. Harry wasn't as certain as he sounded; in fact, Harry suspected the advisors plan to spend most of their day riding to the city perimeter walls and back. When Harry once again straightened his posture, smile remaining, it was with some hope that the prince's wishes would take precedence over Bartholomew's.