All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:49 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

While Draco knew exactly what he had found, he wasn’t sure that Harry would understand the implications of what he had to tell him. Hell, Draco himself hardly knew exactly what it meant, but he definitely knew that it was very bad.
“It’s bad,” he stated, looking at Harry and trying to figure out how he was feeling. They had both known that this was dangerous and with the potential to kill him, but he doubted that either of them had known exactly how that was going to happen.
“When I looked at the signatures, I decided to compare all of them, just to see if anything interesting would stand out to me,” he started, looking at Harry the entire time to gauge his reaction, feeling apprehensive with what he was about to say.
“The signature I have taken from you matches the one that you got me from when you were 15.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:08 am 

Harry’s brows furrowed, a visible effort put into keeping Draco’s words from tangling up in his mind. He saw the quiet distress in Draco’s posture, finding that attempt at composure more unsettling than true panic; perhaps mostly because Harry didn’t understand the weight the discovery carried.
“Is it not supposed to?” he eventually asked, not seeing the harm in his signature matching up against an older sample.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:40 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Harry’s reaction took Draco a little aback, having thought that they would have already talked about how his current signature didn’t match the one they had on file at the ministry. Then again, he wasn’t sure that Harry would know why that meant that it was very bad that his current one matched the one from when he was 15.
“When you were 15, the Dark Lord was a fragment of your soul,” Draco stated bluntly, his own thoughts too chaotic to sugarcoat anything. He wanted Harry to understand the gravity of what he was saying, but Draco himself wasn’t actually sure he understood.
“So do you see why it would be a bad thing that your current signature is very close to the one from when you were 15?”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:13 pm 

Harry’s mind blanked at that, feeling his chest swell with polarizing emotions that left him at a stalemate. It showed in his expression, Draco’s explanation so far from anything Harry could have ever anticipated.
He didn’t know what to make of it, nor of the fact that Draco had spoken it as common sense Harry himself had never thought of it like that; that Voldemort had been so deep in his mind that he had cemented physical, measurable change in the tapestry of Harry’s magical core.
“Yeah,” he breathed, lungs devout of air.
Though his answer was in the affirmative, the weight of that implication was still settling. It made his stomach turn, bringing with it an itch beneath Harry’s skin, a paranoid feeling that he wasn’t quite alone in his body any longer.
“When you put it like that.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:01 am 

Draco felt terrible about seeing Harry like this, knowing that this was likely causing Harry great stress, even if it didn’t really do much to change the situation they found themselves in. If anything, it made it easier for Draco to work with, because now he would have a better idea of what to look for and how to potentially help.
It was, however, also only natural if Harry needed a moment to catch himself and get a moment to wonder what the implications meant.
“I do not think that it is him,” Draco stated, unsure if that was much of a comfort, but he desperately hoped that it was. “But it does meant that I know what to look for now.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:30 am 

“Right,” Harry almost fumbled out, gratefully accepting the out, even if it appeared half-hearted at best. It must have been clear on his expression that that’s where his mind had gone, and he shifted in his seat, leaning back in the attempt to regain some composure.
It didn’t particularly work.
Eyes drifting off of Draco, Harry turned his chair at a slight angle away from the table, a suppressed instinct to get up and pace around the room. Suddenly aware of that optics, he turned the chair back.
“Right. Of course,” he repeated, a bit more steadfast, though his knees felt wobbly, a teenager again. He couldn’t think of an alternative explanation, but he trusted - hoped - that Draco could.
“Is - Was that what it was this weekend, you think?”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:05 pm 

The question took Draco by surprise, having not thought too much of Harry’s illness this weekend, at least not in regards to whatever was lodged in his chest. Considering that Draco had managed to treat it with a regular flue potion, he felt certain about the fact that it was nothing to worry about.
“You can still get the flu, dear,” he said with a warm smile, trying to comfort Harry in the best way that he could, but he wasn’t sure if it actually worked. “I don’t think that they are connected.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:28 pm 

Despite himself, Harry let out a shaky chuckle, caught off guard by the simplicity of Draco’s voice. Harry had been physically unwell at 15, feeling Voldemort in his scar, in the base of his skull, in his head, for years on end, and there was a relief in knowing that maybe this wasn’t like this.
“That’s good,” he replied incoherently, a joyless smile to his voice.
Exhausted, Harry propped his head up by his hand, elbow resting on the arm of his chair. His fingers pushed beneath the rim of his glasses, rubbing hard against his eye as he let out a slow exhale.
“Christ.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:30 pm 

Upon seeing Harry clearly despair by the news, Draco desperately wanted to reach out for him, brush the worry lines away from his face and tell him that everything was going to be okay.
He wasn’t sure if it was.
He had a better understanding of what was going on than he had ever had, having new leads to go on and not just an endless rabbit hole to fall into. However, he didn’t know how exactly to express that to Harry without seeming like he was backtracking on the danger of it all.
“Are you alright?” Was what he settled on, folding his hands in his lap to stop them from fidgeting, unsure how to get rid of the urge to touch Harry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:15 pm 

Harry paused to consider it, eyes closed still. He felt like he was unravelling, finding it genuinely disconcerting that the very fibres of his being were fluid, susceptible to change through external influence. Despite what Draco was saying to lead Harry’s thoughts elsewhere, Harry’s mind wandered, too familiar with the implications.
“I’m tired,” he eventually admitted, letting his hand fall from his face. His eyes were rubbed raw and pink, and he blinked at Draco trying to regain his footing in reality. Otherwise, Harry’s expression was blank, numbed.
“S’just not what I was expecting.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm 

A sense of despair overcame Draco and he had no idea what to do with that feeling.
More than anything else, he wished that there wasn’t a table between them, such that he would be able to properly wrap his arms around Harry and tell him that they were going to figure it out. It would be a false promise though, as Draco had no clue if this was going to be something that he would ever be able to make go away, but he wanted to do anything to remove that tired look from Harry’s face.
“I’m sorry, but I thought that it would be better if you knew as soon as I did,” Draco stated, his fingers itching to reach out for Harry, but it didn’t feel appropriate. It felt as if there was a wall between himself and Harry now and he felt guilty that he had been the one to put it there.
“But now that I know what to look for, it’s more likely that I’ll be able to work out how to stop this.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:28 pm 

“No, you’re right,” Harry agreed, a furrow between his brows as he shook his head. He thought so, at least; last time around, it had been kept from him for too long. “I appreciate it.”
Emotions filled his chest, though not all of them were sorrowful. They bunched at the back of his throat, not able to verbalize the fact that the thought of being back where he was at 15 made him want to sick up.
He breathed through his nose.
Kicking at the floor, Harry swiveled on his chair, once again having to fight the urge to get up and leave. His attention was on the door, and this time, he caved.
“I think I’m done for today,” he mused, voice small with exhaustion. There was still an hour or two left of the day, but Harry needed to move. “I’m gonna head home.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:54 pm 

Draco wasn’t blind to the way that Harry seemed to retreat, clearly being uncomfortable about what Draco had just told him. It seemed that there was an impossible distance between the two of them, something that Draco wasn’t used to, so he didn’t have the first clue on how to close the distance again.
“That’s a very good idea,” Draco said in a kind voice, fully understanding how Harry wouldn’t be able to think properly in his office at the ministry. It would probably just be better for the both of them if they were not at the ministry.
“Want company?” He asked, hoping that getting to be somewhere else with Harry would break the tension between them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:14 pm 

“I’d rather not, no,” Harry told the door, voice devout of any particular infliction. He couldn’t bear the kindness in Draco’s voice, too similar to a caress which Harry couldn’t properly accept, feeling odd in his own body.
When he turned to look at Draco, there was no blame in his gaze, his expression as closed off as his frayed nerves allowed him to. Harry felt raw and vulnerable, and it made him want to leave the office and Draco behind, finding it too difficult to maintain his composure - and, even more so, to allow it to slip.
“Thanks for coming, though,” Harry felt compelled to answer, eyes once again to the side. Gripping the armrests of his chair, he pushed himself upright.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:09 pm 

The rejection felt like a punch to the gut for Draco, even if he knew that he had absolutely no claim on Harry’s time. He couldn’t remember ever having been rejected for any reason by Harry, not since they had gotten to know each other again, and he didn’t know how to handle himself in the rejection.
“Alright,” he said, even if he felt like the floor had disappeared from underneath him and he was desperate to find something to anchor himself.
Instead, he just moved towards the floo, figuring that there was nothing much else for him to do there. Also, he felt embarrassed about having assumed something wrong about his relationship with Harry and was desperate to get away from the situation.
Without further ado, he grabbed a handful of floo powder and threw it into the fireplace.
“Guess I’ll see you,” he stated, not looking at Harry before pronouncing his address and leaving through the fireplace, leaving Harry without time to answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:29 pm 

_____

Harry had dealt with the news of his own mortality by suppressing them, clouding the worry in Draco’s voice with simple pleasures and late nights at the office. It had taken several detours and days, but by the third day, Harry felt human again, and the pressure in his chest had once again been diminished back into something too abstract to even consider.
A product of his youth, Harry was no stranger to the threat of death, after all.
Instead, Harry had thrown himself into the Towthorpe case, enjoying the straight-forward administrative work of submitting that the Ministry wards be reestablished before they deteriorated. Though nothing more than a chore, it was rooted in reality, almost propelling Harry out of his seat as he finished them. Long months at the Manor had reduced the house to nothing more than a fever dream, and when he personally handed the paperwork to Buchannan, Harry had announced his intention to visit the site in the morning.
Harry only returned to his own office to go through the Floo, stating the connection point in the Manor kitchen with too great familiarity for once who had yet to utilize it. Whether or not Draco would be asked to Towthorpe under Harry’s or Paul’s charge remained unclear, but there was a great sense of juvenile indulgence in being the one to call on him, and Harry happily skipped his lunch to do just that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:45 am 

Draco had heard nothing from Harry ever since the rejection.
This wasn’t entirely surprising, as they didn’t interact every day, but due to the nature of when they had last parted, it had left Draco in a foul mood. He knew that he had no claim to Harry’s time nor to any explanations as to why they suddenly weren’t talking, but he had really thought that they were closer than that.
It made everything they had shared so far feel cheap and meaningless. Not even just the sex, which Draco had already known to mean nothing, but he had really thought that they were becoming friends and now he just felt like an idiot.

Draco had been taking his lunch in the kitchen, having needed to get the work at a distance and clear his head a little, when the fireplace suddenly lit up. This startled Draco, as he wasn’t expecting anybody and knew no one who would drop by unannounced.
It was only when Harry stepped out of the fire that Draco realised that it never could have been anyone else, even if the presence of Harry in his kitchen also was a surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:23 am 

When Harry had opted for the Floo rather than apparating, he had done so at Draco’s encouragement. Harry had assumed the suggestion had stemmed from convenience, allowing Harry to enter the home without Draco having to leave the study to tend to the front door. He had, however, not expected Draco to be this immediately available, surprised to find him in his kitchen.
“Hi,” he greeted, his voice made airy by a disoriented but pleased smile. Stepping into the room without further invitation, Harry’s heart flipped at the familiarity of seeing Draco by the dinette.
Force of habit, and a testament to Kreacher’s disinterest in keeping the Grimmauld hearth clean than it was to Coote’s, Harry thoughtlessly brushed non-existent ashes off of his sleeve cuffs.
“Sorry, ‘you having your lunch?” he asked, and though his eyes dipped to the plate in front of Draco, the apology didn’t carry the offer of returning at a later time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:31 pm 

And just like that, Draco feel the resentment which had been growing over the past couple of days slowly melt away.
It was pathetic.
Draco knew that it was pathetic and yet he found it harder and harder to really care about it, even if he wanted to cling to it. He felt like he deserved to be angry, but when Harry was just standing there, smiling at him as if nothing was wrong, he found it hard to really live it.
“Just finished,” he settled on, unsure what else to really say about the entire thing. It was too difficult to be properly angry, or even annoyed, with Harry, but Draco also found himself too conflicted to just accept that Harry was back in his kitchen.
“To what do I owe the pleasure?” He asked, to his dismay finding that his voice was far more genuine than he had wanted it to be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 pm 

The question made the corners of Harry’s mouth twitch, a grin he didn’t dare commit to. As though they weren’t alone in this kitchen, and always had been, Harry glanced to the side before approaching Draco by the table.
“Wanted to know if you’re available for work tomorrow, Cursebreaker,” he mused, the tone of his voice toeing the line between familiar indulgence and professionalism. It felt necessary to at least pretend, knowing this home call otherwise didn’t otherwise constitute a productive way to spend his work day. In a juvenile attempt to reaffirm the tone, Harry’s smile went crooked when he added the appropriate honorific.
Tipping that balance, Harry’s hand reached for Draco without reservation, acting as an anchor at his jaw when Harry leaned in to kiss his cheek.
“I need to pick your brain.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 99  Next