All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlygaea Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Any questions or clarification you need, feel free to ask it here! As others may have the same question, it'd be beneficial to ask here. Or, if you'd rather ask via PM, that's fine, too. I'll post answers to the questions (merely quoted with no user tag), so others can see.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Atlygaea Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 am 

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Hola, just had a few questions about the kingdom and the geography here. As always, I've probably over-analyzed things.

1) What is the kingdom's currency called, and in what forms is it normally seen (paper, coin, etc.)?

2) Since a stock trade exists, can we assume that the economy is based on a capitalistic model a la the USA?

3) What sort of desert do we have here? Continuing with the real world comparisons, which real-world desert most closely resembles this region in terms of geography, moisture, and biodiversity? The presence of falcons seems to indicate a similarity to the Sahara or Middle East.

4) While the kingdom info indicates an industrial, steam-centric tech level, how advanced are we talking here? It seems like humanity's military is a bit anachronistic due to the ubiquity of melee weapons alongside vehicles. Is it safe to assume that man-portable firearms also exist in the military? If so, how common and advanced are such weapons (muskets, muzzle-loaded rifles, bolt-action rifles, etc.)?

5) What sort of magic is available to humans, if at all?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:24 pm 

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.

1) The bulk of money used on a day to day basis is coins, which I'll list below. Those trading in the markets would be using the equivalent of checks, for the assets they're trading. These checks would be notarized prior to acceptance, verifying the money existed. If one had enough money, it could be exchanged for golden bars should they wish.
  • as - bronze
  • dupondius - bronze or copper - 2 asses
  • sestertius - metal alloy - 4 asses or 2 dupondii
  • denarius - silver alloy - 16 asses, 8 dupondii or 4 sestertii
  • aureus - gold - 400 asses, 200 dupondii, 100 sestertii or 25 denarii

2) Somewhat. People can privately own companies and such, which does influence their role in the government. However, the government does own major production companies and businesses.

3) I've always pictured it similar to the Sahara, so you'd be spot on there.

4) They do exist, yes. Where they don't have gun powder, which would mean no explosions, they have steam-powered and compression-based fire arms. These would be reliant on air tanks to be carried with them, so they'd be limited in their use as, once the air runs out, they'd have to change it out for another. Where these take a bit to work and create, people wouldn't have them as a personal weapon; Military would have them.
(For reference, here is a visual example. Air chambers would be hooked directly into the bottom, and the rounds would work on a spring system. Once a round was figured, a spring would push the next up from beneath to be loaded in the barrel, ready to fire.)

5) There is no magic available to humans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm 

Longest RP (1)

1) Which unit of currency is the baseline unit of measure? Judging by your use of Roman nomenclature, would it be correct to assume it's the denarius?

4) Is there a reason for the lack of gunpowder or gunpowder-equivalents? Black powder simply needs sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. Sulfur is common in nature, while charcoal is easy to produce. Potassium nitrate can also be produced on an industrial scale by oxidizing nitrogen in the air via electricity. Since sulfur-based compounds are incredibly important in industry, I'd assume that the kingdom has an abundant, reliable source of the element or its naturally-occurring compounds.

Since humanity is highly industrialized, black powder might even be relatively primitive, technologically speaking, as this tech level could logically have the means to produce smokeless propellants. The aforementioned oxidation process produces nitric acid. When one exposes cellulose fibers (cellulose is easily obtained from plants) to nitric acid, one ends up with a simple smokeless propellant (guncotton/nitrocellulose). If one uses nitric acid and glycerol (components found in fats and oils; also a secondary product in soap-making), the end result is cordite, another smokeless propellant, albeit with greater energy than guncotton.

Apologies again for the over-analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm 

Owner

1) Pardon my lack of understanding, but when you say baseline, I'm not sure what you mean? The Denarius is a silver piece, but by no means the lowest denominator. Overall, Pecus is the overarching term for it all? However, again, I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not, so I could be off base completely with my answer.

2) There's already a kingdom with gun-powder; It was predetermined. Honestly, gun powder is pretty primitive, anyway, given it's volatile and such. Mirelands possess that. Atlygaea doesn't, and makes due with steam-power and air compression.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:33 pm 

Longest RP (1)

1) By baseline, I mean the meter/dollar/gram analogue. The metric system's baseline measure of length, for instance, is the meter. America makes currency measurements in dollars rather than cents. Similarly, the Romans appeared to use denarii as the baseline unit for listing prices and salaries.

2) I know that one kingdom is already gunpowder-happy, but wouldn't it be inefficient to rely on steam and pneumatics? The need for constant fuel input or air reloads would be painful, logistically, and stable smokeless propellants are quite cheap to produce industrially. Powder-based ranged weapons are more portable, easier to keep active, and often less complicated, mechanically. Powder-based firearms are also more lethal. Is there an in-universe reason for the kingdom not switching out for something superior? Since the logistics and science of conventional firearms seem sound, would it be correct to assume that the reasons are political? Such as, say, military contractors using their political muscle to prevent the development and distribution of more practical weaponry? Is there some sort of international treaty enforcing the balance of power to prevent humans from proliferating such things?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 pm 

Owner

1) In fantasy-based games, you always start with the lower up. So "As" would be the baseline.

2) Atlygaea feels their weaponry is far superior than anything else they've come across (emphasis on "come across"). In reality, it's been proven that such air-powered guns can be extremely effective, and lethal, even in today's society. Regardless, Atlygaea will not be having gun powder, nor any substitute for it. They rely solely on what's been named and it's left at that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:54 pm 

Longest RP (1)

Alright, then. That's all I needed to know. Grazie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm 

Owner

Prego.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm 

What other races exist besides humans?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

Owner

Prince Gray wrote:

In the whole of this world, or specifically atlygaea? There are other races, of course, but in Atly, the predominant species is human as they’re the least established of the rest and so new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:30 pm 

Asteria wrote:
Prince Gray wrote:

In the whole of this world, or specifically atlygaea? There are other races, of course, but in Atly, the predominant species is human as they’re the least established of the rest and so new.

What about the entire world?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:33 pm 

Owner

Prince Gray wrote:
Asteria wrote:
Prince Gray wrote:

What about the entire world?

That information is found in the Chowretat OOC section under “Races”. There are a plethora but depending on what kingdom you choose to write in will determine their place/rank among that group.