All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:58 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

When instructed to do so, Draco moved away a little from the spot, not wanting to be in the way of whichever spell Buchannan was doing, still a little afraid that he was overstaying his welcome. Still though, he felt deeply invested by now and knew that he wouldn’t be able to let it go before he knew what all of this was, especially now that they seemed to actually be on to something.
“It’s a breeze,” Draco confirmed, having definitely been able to feel it as well. It had been weak and only really noticeable because he had been actively searching for something, but now that he had felt it, it seemed so very important that he couldn’t let it go.
He watched as Buchannan approached the spot he had just been kneeling, feeling certain that he would agree that there was definitely something worth investigating there.Thus it came as a surprise to him when Buchannan simply shook his head, frown on his face as he did, clearly trying very hard to feel whatever it was that he and Harry had been feeling.
“I don’t feel anything,” he concluded.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 pm 

Harry knew Buchannan well enough to know his words didn’t come as an accusation, certain he wasn’t necessarly distrusting the find. It did, however, still make Harry’s eyes dart to Draco, not blind to the way the Ministry detection spell hadn’t shown any disruptions on the area.
“Connor, Laura,” Harry instead urged, head turning towards them, though his gaze didn’t follow.
Hands on his knees, he felt the consequences of the low stance, feeling his joints lock up when he tried to get himself upright. “You give it a go.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:00 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Buchannan’s determined conclusion that he didn’t feel anything made Draco feel ill at ease, suddenly fearing that he had just convinced himself that he felt something because he was so desperate to make progress and to prove that his presence there was valid. Then again, Harry had been the first one to mention feeling something, so it couldn’t possibly be just all in his own head.
Trying to distract himself, not wanting to appear too out of it, Draco leaned down slightly to offer Harry a hand up, having noticed that he seemed to be struggling slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:20 pm 

Even though this case had dragged on for longer than felt necessary, Harry had spent the past decade finding and dismantling houses just like this one, and yet he had never before seen anything that so effectively evaded any Ministry interference. It left Harry’s mind reeling, and though he rationally knew every other person present in the room felt equally off kilter, he felt quite alone in his own brain, digging deep through memories of old cases.
He all but jumped when Draco’s hand appeared in his field of vision.
Eyes darting up to meet Draco’s eye, the look of quiet unease shouldn’t have felt as reassuring as it did. Above all happy to have Draco there with him, Harry gratefully accepted Draco’s arm, catching him by his forearm to pull himself upright.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 pm 

As Harry took a hold of him arm, Draco was taken aback by just how tightly he was holding onto him, feeling a dull ache spread in his forearm, almost enough to make his loosen his grip again, but he managed to pull himself back together enough to not just let Harry fall on his ass.
As Connor and Szczepanski confirmed that they didn’t feel anything either, Draco found his gaze on the floor, trying not to appear as if he had just been in pain from simply helping Harry up from the floor, while maybe also trying to ignore the inherent intimacy there was to be found in the gesture.
However, rather than solid floorboards what Draco’s gaze found was something that had definitely not been there a moment before. The floorboards seemed to shift as Draco looked at them, taking the form of a latch right at their feet.
“Are you seeing this?”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:01 am 

Yes,” fumbled Connor with an almost anxious surprise before Harry could even look down. There was an undeniable relief somewhere in her voice, conflicting emotions at the sudden ability to /see/ when she hadn’t been able to feel.
When Harry’s eyes dipped to the floor, his stomach turned. It felt like almost a violent lurch forward, adrenaline surging with the awareness that this had suddenly become an active scene, and how the balance had suddenly tipped back to him and Laura as Aurors.
“Stand back,” he warned everyone present, though his arm reached out in front of Draco, barring him in particular from stepping forward.
Harry didn’t turn to look at Draco, hand dropping before he recognized he had raised it, subconsciously weary of how the day had progressed. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Buchannan and Connor step aside for Laura, making Harry once again crouch down.
Shifting closer to the hutch, Harry saw the dusting of Buchannan’s spell seep through the cracks in the flooring, the shift of wind and magic breaking the surface tension.
“Has anything else changed?” Harry asked, glancing up at Buchannan for answers. “Do another scan of the area.”
With some delay, Harry’s attention returned to Draco, mind reeling as his gaze struggled to linger on any fixed feature. “You, too - what’s the read of the room?”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:08 pm 

Unthinkingly, Draco had stepped forward, keen on inspecting the newly appeared latch at their feet, but Harry’s arm in front of him made him stop in his tracks. It was then he remembered that he was on an official ministry mission and not just doing research for himself, so he took a step back and had decided on simply observing, knowing better than to overstay his welcome.
That didn’t mean that he wasn’t keen on redoing his spell when prompted to do, honestly just keen on doing anything that would seem helpful.
Without second guessing himself, having barely realised that his wand was still clutched in his hand, he redid his spell, unsurprised when the latch lit up in bright blue.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:01 pm 

When Draco’s spell once again illuminated the area blue, Harry no longer needed Buchanna’s input, already decided.
“Right,” he stated, under his breath but entirely matter-of-factly. It suddenly was no longer up for discussion. His hand fell to his wand, idly tied to his flank.
He crouched back down.
“Let’s open it up - Laura.”
There was a buzz going through his veins, a tremble of anticipation, tightly wound with both excitement and worry. Rarely did Harry go into things this blindly, no matter how rash his coworkers thought him to be, and with everything else he had come to learn about the house, there was no telling what they’d find.
Eyes wandering, he saw Laura edge past Buchannan, wand drawn as she steadied herself by the hatch. When she offered him a nod, Harry’s attention returned to the blue light shimmering a few feet in front of him, eyes only briefly flickering to Draco, a split second recollection of the ban on magic he had been issued. With a flash of regret, Harry shifted his wand to his left hand, tip facing inward before turning his wrist in the motion of the spell with his empty right hand.
“Alohomora.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:21 pm 

The tension was thick in the air between them as the latch finally opened, a soft pop from the stagnant air and possibly residual magic that had been trapped down there for so many years. It took everything in Draco to not just storm forwards, keen to see what was actually hiding underneath, but he had managed to compose himself enough to realise that this was a ministry matter and while he technically did work for the ministry, he was mostly there due to other people’s good will.
That didn’t stop him from edging slightly forward, stretching to see if maybe he could catch a glance of whatever had been hidden down there. It had to be something pretty severe, otherwise Draco couldn’t see why the Death Eaters would have bothered to hide it to such an extent.
“Anyone see anything?” He found himself asking without thinking, too curious not to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:33 pm 

Crouched by the hatch, Harry stared down the mouth of a staircase, stretching far beneath the main structure of the house, darkened within a few yards. The air was damp and heavy with age, and for a moment the house seemed alive, a too-human exhale.
Doubling over and craning his neck, Harry flicked his fingers to cast a lumos, stretching his hand into the belly of the beast to expand their field of vision.
At the very bottom, a shimmer of metal.
“There’s a room,” Harry replied, his voice tight. Keeping low to the ground, he inched forward, taking a tentative seat at the lip of the hatch, leaning further into the darkness. The air was humid, making the hairs on Harry’s neck stand, a primordial unease of the darkness.
“Paul, repeat the scan of the terrain, we have to know the size of this - it has to show,” Harry ordered, though his mind was elsewhere.
With a shake of his hand, the light disappeared. Instead shifting his wand to his dominant hand, he looked up at Draco, a hazy expression of focus in the face of unease. He felt tightly wound.
Distractedly, Harry’s attention flickered to Connor, eyes perpetually returning to Draco. “Connor, what’s your read - is it safe to enter?”
Clearly caught off guard, Connor all but jumped at the question. With a wave of her wand, she cast a standard Ministry detection spell over the area. Nothing showed, making her uneasy; her eyes, too, flickered to Buchannan and Draco. “I - uh - think so.”
Despite her hesitancy, Harry gladly accepted it as sufficient. Coming to a stand, wand in hand, he was quickly down the first few steps.
“Draco -” Harry called, an invitation. Draco’s input had time and time again proved far more valuable than that of Buchannan or Connor, and Harry found it impossible not to turn to him first, always and inevitably. “What do you see?”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:17 pm 

The detection of the hatch had made everything move so quickly that Draco all but jumped when Harry suddenly turned to look at him, once again asking for his input on this. He had all but been convinced that he would be asked to step back once again and go back to simply observing.
However, he should have known that Harry trusted him more than that, trusted his skills in this area so much more than that.
“May I?” He asked as he approached the hatch, knowing that he would have to be rather close for his detection spells to be able to have any kind of effect. It still seemed an awful lot like overstepping, but one look in Harry’s direction calmed him down enough to cast his spell again, directing it towards the open hole that was now in the floor.
Nothing much showed in the room at first glance, but there was an eerie blue light from the bottom of the room that made Draco’s stomach churn, feeling uneasy about the entire ordeal.
“I think the room is safe enough, but there might be something further in. I suggest you thread with caution,” he advised, knowing that if none of the others intended to go in there, then he would likely do it himself, safety measures be damned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm 

Though not a tall man, Harry still ducked his head out of instinct, the darkness and decay of the stairwell making it appear smaller than it was. As his hand brushed at the ceiling to orient himself, plaster crumbled beneath his fingers.
“Get down here, then,” he repeated with more insistence. Though there was no trace of annoyance, Harry remained tense at the prospect of venturing blind into a room someone had gone through such tremendous efforts to conceal.
“I need to know what to expect before we open the door.”
Another few steps down, the stairwell levelled itself, and as Harry reignited a lumos the door looked awfully ordinary. It made his stomach turn, unsettled.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:12 am 

Not needing to be told twice, Draco immediately started descending the stairs, having to crouch down a little as he went, anxious to hit his head on the way down.
He had known that they would probably uncover something new at Towthorpe but for it to be something this significant made Draco’s head spine, feeling a little nauseous from the entire thing. How had the hatch never appeared in earlier scans of the house?
The implication that Draco himself might have something to do with it made him sick, and he pushed the thought away as he moved to stand next to Harry, barely noticing that the others were slowly joining them in the room.
This was likely going to be dangerous and as Draco cast his spell once more, the sight of bright blue that emanated from underneath the door did nothing to quell his nerves. Still though, they were so close to a new breakthrough that Draco knew they wouldn’t be backing down. They all had to see what was behind the door.
“There’s definitely powerful dark magic in there,” he stated, his voice soft as he nodded towards the door in front of them, but having nothing else much to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:52 am 

As Draco appeared by his side, Harry’s eyes inevitably sought him out with an almost restless desperation, more information to be found in Draco’s expression than in the door ahead of him.
The sliver of blue light emitting from beneath the door uplit Draco’s features, adding a severity to the scene that made Harry’s stomach turn. There was such familiarity in Draco’s presence, but not here, not while feeling this on edge, and Harry’s mind muddled with memories they hadn’t actually shared.
“Does it show?” he asked, turning to look over top his shoulder at Buchannan who had followed Draco, Connor and Laura backlit on the stairs behind him, their expressions lost to him.
There wasn’t many expectations in Harry’s voice, bracing himself for the worst. Last time, a curse had escaped the Cursebreakers’ scans, and there was no telling whether or not that was bound to repeat itself.
Harry’s eye flickered back to Draco, but the question was directed to everybody present. ‘“Anything?”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:47 pm 

Draco turned to look at Buchannan as well, knowing that it was likely either him or Connor who should be all the way up by Harry’s side rather than Draco, but it was really too late to rectify his mistake by now. It didn’t seem that anyone was really minding anyway, but it suddenly made Draco feel self conscious about the entire thing, once again uncertain if he was overstepping.
Buchannan, to his credit, didn’t seem too rattled by it, simply just repeated his spell to see if they would be able to see what was hiding behind the door.
“We have a large room, I’d say approximately four by four, but it’s hard to tell exactly.” he stated, clearly having done this a million times before and running on pure routine. “I see no immediate threats, so if Malfoy think it’s okay, I say we move forward but with caution.”
Being included on such a high level made Draco feel a little nervous, suddenly feeling like a lot was riding on him being able to properly identify if this was going to pose any immediate threat to them. Still, he felt certain that there was no volatile dark magic behind the door, all east not something that would jump out immediately. It was powerful to be sure, but it didn’t seem aggressive.
“The magic behind the door is powerful or has once been powerful, it seems to have faded over the years, probably due to it being abandoned,” he stated, speaking with a calm in his voice that took even himself aback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:27 pm 

Harry’s eyes darted between Draco and Buchannan, mind racing. Though neither seemed keen on actively inviting Harry to open the door, none had discouraged. The air felt stifled, seeing in Buchannan the knowledge that months ago, he had given the same recommendation and still Harry had been horribly injured.
So, in that moment, Draco’s words counted double. For a split second, Harry’s eyes returned to Draco, blind trust visible in his gaze, before turning to the door. Hand inches above the knob, Harry spoke another Alohomora and the door swung open.
If the stairwell had been dank, the room it led to was foul. Undoubtedly closed to the world for decades, the air was stagnant and full of rot, bringing bile to the back of Harry’s throat within moments of opening the door. Immediately, he raised his free arm, nose brushing against the wool of his coat as a breath got caught in his throat, cut short at the smell of that hit him.
Skirted with shelves on all walls, the room was illuminated in washes of spotty blue light, multiple objects shining in Draco’s detection spell. Another light had once again ignited across Harry’s chest, playing tricks on the lenses of his glasses. It made it feel like the room was under water, the air thick to breathe and the pressure heavy on Harry’s lungs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm 

The stagnant smell of rot hit Draco’s nostrils the second the door was opened, causing him to cough before covering his nose and mouth with his sleeve as well. That didn’t stop him from venturing inside, knowing that he had done far too much work on this to not get these answers.
It seemed so very important that they went inside, finally getting a sense of progress and feeling keener than ever to learn more and hopefully be able to get to the bottom of what was wrong with Harry.
He was right behind Harry as they finally ventured inside and he was having a hard time deciding what to look at.
The middle of the room was taken by a large work desk, a solid wooden thing that was littered with different objects, many of which were lit up by the dim blue light. In fact, the only light in the entire room was the dim blue of Draco’s spell emanating from the different objects and Harry’s chest.
In an attempt to stop his unease, Draco stepped further in, keen to explore but stepping with caution, not wanting to accidentally trigger anything that could cause anyone harm. He was so absorbed by the different objects that when he stepped around the work desk, he hardly realised what he was actually looking at before he all but stepped on it, causing him to recoil before his foot could make contact.
“Good lord,” he exclaimed, his arm falling down for a moment before he lifted it up again, immediately reminded by the heavy stench in the room.
“There’s a corpse behind the desk,” he explained, unable to take his eyes off of it but also desperate to get away from it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:01 pm 

Draco’s exclamation knocked the last bit of air out of the room, and for a moment, Harry couldn’t breathe. Obscured by the heavy shadow cast by the table, the body was simultaneously nobody and all, too many familiar faces flickering through his mind’s eye.
There was a brief moment where Harry’s stomach fell, a genuine and paralyzing fear, before his system was flooded with a surge of disassociated adrenaline, his mind working on pure instincts. It was protocol hammered into him over the course of a lifetime, muffling any hum of anxiety scratching beneath his skin.
Despite all senses, Harry stepped forward. His mind was already clouded with static as he cast a wordless lumos maxima, bathing the room in white light.
No longer hidden in the shadows of the room, the grotesque shape of a body came to view, its decomposition undoubtedly stalled by the heavy wards. Rotten flesh still clung to bones, although any trace of a face was bloated and shrunk beyond any recognition, the features no longer perceivable as human; in that face, Harry saw everybody.
“Get forensics here!” he called as he staggered a step back, words interrupted by a cough as the taste of copper clung to the back of his throat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:32 pm 

The time immediately after Draco’s discovery passed in a complete blur, Draco realising that it was probably better if he simply stayed in the background and did as he was told, even if this meant being let out of the room. Everything was suddenly caught up in protocol, making it so painfully obvious to Draco that he had no formal training and really was just on as a consultant, no matter how much Buchannan and Harry insisted on referring to him as cursebreaker.
Once they had all been ushered outside, Draco felt at a complete and utter loss of what to do, suddenly having no real purpose to being present, but also not feeling like he was in a place to leave. He wanted to know what was going on in that house and he couldn’t say that he wasn’t curious as to who the corpse was, even if he doubted that it was going to be particularly relevant to what was going on with Harry.
So for now, he was just standing there, not engaging with any of the others and trying to look less uncomfortable than how he felt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:52 pm 

Within minutes of Draco’s discovery, the field office was overrun with forensic wizards, and Harry was propelled into a bureaucratic dance he so loathed. It had all been too quick, and yet the day felt agonizingly slow, caught on a loop of protocols and repeated conversations.
Along with Buchannan, Harry had been stuck in the basement room with forensic Inspector Tsai to coordinate the exhumination of the body without tampering with the scene. It must have been hours ago, and as Harry finally stumbled out of the house, the smell of rot still clung to him, cutting through the fresh breeze of the countryside. Harry felt utterly depleted, barely able to make out Buchannan’s voice as spoke to him, his ears ringing as his spike of adrenaline finally ran dry.
Barely present in his own body, his eyes still darted across the moving bodies scampering to and from the port key, easily finding Draco among them, surprised to see he had stayed through it all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 99  Next