All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:49 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

A flicker of humoured interest tugged at Harry’s features, momentarily arching his brows and upturning the corner of his mouth.
“Very,” he concurred in that same tone of fake professionalism. Although the notion that Draco had been invited to an autopsy deserved attention in and of itself, Harry’s mind had fixated on something else entirely; the promise hidden in Draco’s words and smiles.
“It’s of the highest priority.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:06 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

It was daft and Draco absolutely knew that it was daft, however there was a certain thrill in knowing that they were also colleagues working on a case together.
“Well, I shall make sure to stop by your office later than,” he stated, still feeling silly in putting up an act like this, but it was just a part of their relationship by now and it was something that Draco was willing to take.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:52 pm 

______

Attending a cross-department triad meeting with Draco had turned out to be far more dizzying than Harry had anticipated. Sparring with Draco had always been thrilling, but put into the context of planning the next forensic leg of the case, Draco’s teachings as a Healer had really started to show.
It had come to the point where it was probably for the better that Draco had stayed behind with Tsai. Rather than spending the lift ride up adding to the growing infractions of the department policy, Harry had instead spent it staring blankly at the floor numbers decreasing in an attempt to stop the world from spinning.
Upon returning to his office, Harry had only managed to wrangle his attention back onto work at the knowledge and expectation that it could become a long evening before Draco was ready to finish up, and that said time was better spent preoccupied with work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:48 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

While Draco had meant to stay for the entire autopsy without interrupting or interjecting, it hadn’t taken very long before he saw something that made him stop in his tracks.
The muggle body in front of them had been so horribly mangled that it had been difficult to make anything properly out of it, but once Tsai had started talking and explaining what she was seeing, it had almost made Draco sick up, and not from the sight of the body.
The scar that he had recognised so vividly the first time he had seen the body suddenly seemed a lot more foreboding, and while it had barely been an hour since he had left them, Draco knew that he had to go find Harry immediately.
Earlier plans they had made completely forgotten, Draco felt sick to his stomach as he rode the elevator up, finding that it was going at an excruciatingly slow pace, had it always been that slow?
Upon finally reaching the correct floor, Draco didn’t hesitate, immediately finding Harry’s office and bursting right in, giving no thoughts as to whether or not Harry might be busy.
“Harry, I need to see your scar.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:13 pm 

Harry jumped with the force with which his door swung open unannounced and unceremoniously. Eyes darting up at Draco with a look of pure disorientation, Harry had the impression of having only just settled into his work, caught off guard by his own immersion into the case file. It was only then that he caught a glance of the clock and realised he hadn’t lost track of time, and that Draco must barely have set a foot into Tsai’s laboratory before darting back up to the DMLE.
“What?” Harry stuttered, his most immediate response that of confusion, unable to comprehend the speed and energy of Draco’s request.
It took another beat for Draco’s expression to register with Harry, his eyes skimming across Draco’s features with a growing sense of dread. “Why?”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:48 pm 

Draco wasn’t really sure that he had it in himself to explain to Harry just yet, not before he had seen the scar again and gotten his suspicions confirmed. He needed to know for absolutely certain that he was right before scaring Harry even further, knowing the implications of what he had potentially found out.
“Please,” was what he settled on as he moved around Harry’s desk, needing to be closer to him to be able to properly see the scar. He had, of course, seen the scar so very many times, however he had never gotten to see it with the information he had now and he feared the ramifications. “I’ll explain just show it to me.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:41 pm 

Throughout their life, it felt like Harry had seen every possible emotion painted across Draco’s face, from hate to affection, but whatever contorted his features in that moment was entirely unknown to him. It took a hold of Harry’s heart, a fearful unease he hadn’t felt in decades.
With staggered, hesitant movements, Harry pushed his chair back, swivelling in his seat to better turn towards Draco. His motions felt caught between being uncertain and being in a rush, and by the time he finally managed to start undoing the buttons of his jacket, his hands felt shaky.
“Did you see something?” he asked, meeker with the realisation that he was stating the obvious, but nothing else came to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:52 pm 

The trepidation that Draco felt upon seeing Harry undo his jacket was a feeling that he didn’t usually connect with the action, however he was so desperately hoping that he was wrong in his hypothesis; deep down though, he knew that he wasn’t.
“I hope I am wrong,” he stated, feeling more and more certain that that wasn’t the case though, knowing exactly what he was going to see once Harry finished unbuttoning his shirts.
It made him sick to his stomach and made him want to weep, unsure exactly what this was going to mean but he knew that it couldn’t be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:07 pm 

That wasn’t necessarily comforting to hear. Harry sent a weary glance back up at Draco, expression full of barely-formed emotions, wanting to say so much but struggling to find the words.
There was a beat of silence, where the only thing audible what the shuffle of Harry’s clothes and the sound of his own heartbeat in his eyes. It was a split moment of limbo, where Draco had yet to say what they were both already thinking.
While the jackets and buttoned pieces came off easily, reaching his t-shirt had Harry make a soft little sound of almost exasperated frustration, shifting forward in his seat to tug at the several bunched layers of shirt cuffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:24 am 

While the action taking place in front of him was so very familiar to Draco, he was hit with the heavy dread in the ways that this wasn’t. It was instinct that propelled him forwards, reaching for the neck of Harry’s shirt and gingerly pulling it downwards, knowing that he needed to see but he was terrified of what he might find.
He had, of course, seen Harry’s scar so very many times in the past, however it was a completely new set of emotions that filled him upon seeing it now. Nausea welled up in him upon his discovery, having already known that he was going to be right, but having hoped so desperately that he wouldn’t be.
“I need to take you to Tsai,” he stated, doing everything to keep himself together but he knew that this was bad news. However, he also felt that Harry deserved to know what he was thinking, knowing that he was likely going to ask no matter what.
“The body we found?” He started, knowing that Harry was going to need context but it was all a barely formed idea in the first place, and he didn’t want him to panic. “It has the same scar.”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:58 am 

A whole array of emotions flickered across Harry’s expression in a split second before he managed to compose himself, packing everything away deep inside. The suffocated unease transformed into tension in his shoulders, and in an attempt to straighten himself out, he pushed Draco’s hand off of his shirt collar, not unkindly but with a lack of finesse.
“I’m not doing that,” he dismissed, only a slight tremor still audible in his voice.
The impulse to run from the interaction surged within him, making him avoid Draco’s eye as he sat back in his chair, keen to do up his layers once again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:59 pm 

Even though the action didn’t feel rough or even unkind, Draco couldn’t help the rejection that welled up in him when Harry pushed his hand away. The rejection felt further underlined when Harry straight up refused to follow Draco back down to Tsai, even thought Draco knew that she would likely be able to help.
“I know this is a lot and I know that you don’t want anyone to know how bad it is, but I do think that she can help,” he stated, trying to keep his voice even, but what he really wanted to do was to lean down and beg Harry to get the help, terrified at the implication of the matching scars.
No matter what was going on between the two of them now, Draco knew that there was never going to be a scenario where he wasn’t going to help Harry, needing him to be okay, no matter how involved they were.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:49 am 

Despite having fixated on Draco’s offered solution, Harry hadn’t failed to register the root cause. Even pushed to the very back of his mind, the news that the body found at Towthorpe had a similar injury as him made Harry feel ill, flashes of that horrid basement resurfacing as his mind struggled not to run wild.
“I’m not getting examined by a mortician,” he insisted, his voice deadpan as his eyes remained lowered to the trail of buttons.
For how much comfort Draco usually brought him, Harry felt cornered, both body and mind, and it made it hard to look at him, afraid that his expression would be a death sentence; afraid that Tsai might get to examine him one way or another, anyway.
“I’m just not.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:59 pm 

The rejection quickly made for for frustration, it seemed like Harry didn’t actually understand the gravity of the situation and Draco wanted to scream. He knew that this could mean a potential breakthrough in the case and could possibly mean that they could get to the bottom of what was wrong with Harry, but he had to agree to seeing Tsai.
“If you don’t now you might not have a say later,” he stated, feeling exasperated by the entire ordeal.
It was so incredibly heartbreaking to him that he was desperate to keep Harry alive but it didn’t seem like Harry shared that sentiment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:30 pm 

Amid the fear and nausea that had gripped a hold of Harry’s stomach, he felt a surge of annoyance at the tone Draco suddenly took with him, not interested in getting berated about death by someone who hadn’t experienced dying.
“Can you just ****ing talk to me?” he snapped, his voice tipping over with an equal sense of exasperation. “And not just threaten that I’m dying with half baked explanations?”
It was only then that he raised his gaze to meet Draco’s. His eyes were bright with a sea of emotions poorly stashed away, but his expression was still one of poorly composed frustration.
“What the **** did the autopsy show?”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:53 pm 

Draco was growing increasingly frustrated, both with Harry but also with himself.
Their breakup had caused undeniable cracks in their relationship, cracks that Draco had been able to ignore until now, but it was undeniable that they had both grown more guarded against each other again; losing most of the progress they had made while at the manor.
He took a deep breath, trying to stop himself from further snapping at Harry, knowing that he deserved Draco being a professional.
“The body has a scar exactly like your’s,” he reiterated, mostly to get a proper hold of himself once more, stopping himself from the urge to shake and scream at Harry. “Tsai seems to think that it appeared either partially or entirely post mortem, which I know doesn’t exactly match up with you, but the coincidence is just too big for us to ignore it.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:15 pm 

Harry’s stomach turned, and he willed himself to believe it was with anger. Emotions that weren't anger alone curdled and got stuck in the back of his throat. He wanted to sick up or scream, because it seemed so deeply unfair that of all good that had been between them, the only thing that had remained a constant was the magic eating at Harry’s insides.
“It’s not the cause of death, then,” he reiterated with a dismissiveness that was almost petty, as though incredibly aware of the fact that he was stating something obvious.
Harry stared at Draco, wishing that he would act as a better mirror, that he would better meet Harry’s anger that by now was prickling in his fingers, lacking an outlet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:21 pm 

Despite the cracks in their relationship, Draco still knew Harry well enough to know exactly where he was going with this and he didn’t appreciate it one bit. He desperately wanted Harry to agree to let Tsai look at him, knowing that her knowledge about this was far greater than his own, despite everything that he had studied so far, however, he also knew that once Harry had set his mind to something he was very hard to sway.
“It’s not the cause of death,” he parroted, feeling slightly more deflated about the entire thing now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:43 am 

There was a beat of silence, everything balanced on a knife’s edge as Harry decided how to respond to that. It felt like they had this conversation constantly, Draco seemingly so stuck on the scar that it clouded his judgement.
Harry finally shifted, his annoyance deflating when he ducked his gaze to do up his shirt.
“Go finish the autopsy,” he dismissed, uncomfortably aware that it forced a professional distance between them, when their evening wasn’t supposed to be that. It wasn’t even supposed to be this, gruelling and dreadful with a growing anxiety.
“Don’t jump to conclusions, and then come see me tomorrow.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:06 pm 

There was no denying the deflation that Draco felt about the entire thing, feeling so certain that he was one the edge of something and it felt like Harry was writing him off entirely.
It was frustrating but Draco knew that he was just going to have to keep putting in the work anyway, now feeling certain that he couldn’t depend on Harry for support like that anymore.
“Understood,” he stated, his voice becoming cooler and more detached, a stiff professionalism seeping into his tone and to his body language.
“Thank you for your time, auror Potter, I shall be seeing you tomorrow,” he stated as he turned to leave the room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 99  Next