All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:57 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

The manor was huge and labyrinth-like, especially to people who weren’t used to being there, so it made good sense that Potter wouldn’t even attempt to find him and would rather just call for him. At least, that is what Draco tells himself to be the reason, rather than just Potter being arrogant.
It was a great comfort for him to be doing something with his hands, even if it was just making a tea brewing charm, because it distracted him from how he had just been touching Potter.
“Yes,” he called back, not because he saw himself as completely unable to alter his wards enough that Potter would be able to get out of the manor, but because he wanted to see what was going on. It was clear that something was wrong and while Potter staunchly denied it, Draco couldn’t help but feel that it had something to do with that scar.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:26 pm 

Harry shifted, turning in place as his fingers daftly did up the buttons of his dress shirt. The front door was still opened before him, the summer sun flooding in through it. It looked as unwarded as it had before, and for a moment, Harry found himself considering Malfoy’s words, bending down to pick up his dress coat, too.
He eventually closed the door, having made no attempt to challenge the truth Malfoy’s response. Harry turned around, the decision to trust Malfoy fresh in his mind, properly entering the manor for the first time in a decade.
Behind him, the remaining pile of clothes folded, neatly balancing themselves on the entryway credenza.
Harry stepped aimlessly into the hall, no immediate expectation to find either Malfoy or the kitchen. He pulled on the dress coat, eyes wandering across doorways and arches, the Manor seeming to unfold in every direction, both above and below him. He realized he didn’t recognize the way the Death Eaters had led them through the Manor, only serving to make him hesitate in his steps; the memories of the mantle room were still present in his consciousness.
Pausing in the middle of the room, Harry finished doing the clasps of his coat. In the silence, Harry was able to place the kitchen to his left, mercifully offering up a sense of direction.
"Is that a recommendation?" Harry called, no longer needing the silence to orient himself. His voice wasn’t harsh, though it was a clear attempt to judge the response of Malfoy’s wards.
Harry found the kitchen through the third doorway he encountered. He paused at the doorstep, watching Malfoy. "Or am I locked in?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:45 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

As Draco watched the kettle boil, he was surprised to her Potter’s voice get closer.
It probably made nice sense that Potter wouldn’t want to be left alone in his foyer, especially after Draco had said that he was going to stay. It was a very weird situation and while Draco knew that a cup of tea wasn’t going to fix the tension that was between the two of them, he also knew that he was going to feel far more comfortable with a cup of tea in his hands.
“Both,” he started, back still turned to Potter, having found his composure again. He could definitely just do his research, no matter how muscular and beautiful Potter had become since they went to Hogwarts together. It was just about keeping his focus and remember the reason that Potter had even shown up at his footstep in the first place.
“The ward is not going to let you out right now, but I would probably be able to get it to,” he stated, having made most of his wards himself and thus knowing just which strings to pull to disable certain parts of his wards.
He turned to look at Potter, relieved to see that he had gotten dressed again, finding it easier to have a conversation with him if he was wearing a shirt. It had been stupid to ask him to see the scar in the first place and while Draco couldn’t entirely regret it, he still felt stupid because of it.
“But I’d recommend that you stay, such that I can get a proper look at whatever it is that is going on.”

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:31 pm 

Harry just hummed at that, meeting Malfoy’s eye with a nod. He had no reason to believe Malfoy, but frankly, no good reason to distrust him either. The mention of Harry’s scar had seemed to change something in Malfoy, and Harry considered whether that had translated into vested interest in Harry staying, or if Harry’s value had simply changed; that Malfoy understood that his help could be repaid with information he would be hard pressed to come by elsewhere. Whether or not Malfoy’s recommendation was justified what something else entirely.
"You said it’d be a week ‘til your equipment was ready," Harry reminded, plainly, his voice managing to not give away what was on his mind at the realization. That conversation felt like it was a lifetime ago, and while Harry had then thought that a week was bearable, he wasn’t sure if that was still the case. He wished he hadn’t come directly here from St. Mungo’s.
Unable to stay present in the situation if it continued like this, Harry’s expression softened into a smile, kind with a sense of solidarity. "Or was that an exaggeration?"

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:03 am 

Draco hadn’t entirely been lying when he had told Potter that it would be a week until his equipment would be ready, however he hadn’t entirely been telling the truth either. The week had mostly been to give himself enough time to make sure he got the correct things, not having wanted to rush anything.
Now however, Draco could definitely feel a sense of urgency, feeling absolutely convinced that something was wrong with Potter and that he would have to figure out exactly what that was. This also meant that he was more willing to rush the process of getting the things that he needed, and would run some tests even before he got anything home.
“Well, it would have taken me a week to get a proper lab setup, but the situation has changed since I said that,” Draco stated, unsure if he really answered the question, but he was finding it difficult to be around Potter and he refused to give him any kind of ammunition to use against him. This was going to be bad enough as it was, and Draco didn’t want to put himself into a worse situation.
“Besides, with the way you activated my ward, it is no wonder that other wards would have a volatile reaction to you, so it just seems safer if you stay.”

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:29 am 

Harry had to take a moment to process the severity of Malfoy’s words, needing to put them into context. Harry had had no issues with the wards either at Grimmauld Place nor St. Mungo’s, but Harry understood the severity of catching on both the Ministry’s and Malfoy’s, purposefully restricting the passage of dark magic.
Several conflicting emotions went through him as he watched the Malfoy’s expressions change minutely at each statement. It didn’t escape him how Malfoy’s phrasing had changed from the first night Harry had come to the Manor, how he seemed prepared to talk in actionable points.
Harry had purposefully sought out Malfoy to confirm the suspicion that he or others had been exposed to dark magic, fearing it might have lingered. He didn’t know what to think having that confirmed, mind struggling to piece together the implications.
"So I’m staying," Harry repeated in an exhale, stepping into the kitchen to take a seat at the dinette; this time, it wasn’t a question.
In the very back of his mind, he thought their situation to be uncomfortably intimate, bordering on post coital. Harry had dressed himself with less care and fewer layers than he had upon waking, and Malfoy awkwardly hovering at the hub, offering him a cup of tea because they’re English and because they didn’t know what else to do. Harry usually didn’t linger in situations like these, and yet, he realized, this might be his entire existence for the next foreseeable future.
"For how long, do you reckon?"

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:16 am 

Sometimes, Draco could find it a little laughable how easy it seemed to just resolve back situations with tea, finding it to be the easiest thing to do whenever he was in a tight situation. It was even more laughable that he was making tea to Harry Potter, who had taken a seat in his kitchen and seemed to be getting used to the idea of spending some time in the manor.
“A couple of days I reckon, maybe a week,” he said with a shrug, as he turned his back on Potter once more, grabbing two cups out of his cupboard and placing them on the table. It was easier to think clearly when he wasn’t looking at Potter, instead getting to focus doing something with his hands and try to be a good host.
It was fairly easy to figure out that Draco probably didn’t have many guests, something that was mostly to his own choosing, so hosting wasn’t quite in his forte. Still, he knew how to offer someone a cup of tea and a place to stay and that was what mattered in that moment.
“I shall get Coote to make up one of the spare rooms for you,” he added, feeling the need to be formal, such that it wouldn’t feel too intimate. “How do you take your tea?”

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm 

In the back of his mind, Harry recognized that he probably did feel some sense of relief at that. His shoulders did relax, at the very least comforted by the fact that wouldn’t lead to a delay in Malfoy’s work. Harry didn’t even have access to his office as of late, and yet it was the knowledge that he’d have to spend another few nights in a strange bed that hit him the hardest.
Leaning back into his chair, Harry’s fingers pushed beneath his lenses, pushing his glasses up to his forehead with the motion. The exhaustion seemed to hit him all at once, the emotional strain of the last few days finally catching up to him. The last hour alone felt like it contained enough to fill several days. It had felt like a violent lurch forwards only to end in yet another deadlock. He’d have to figure out something to maintain a sense of progress but in that moment, his brain was pure static.
He trailed the line of his eye socket, fingers pressing hard against the bone before letting his hands fall, blinking Malfoy’s silhouette back into view.
He barely registered the question. "With milk."

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:04 am 

“Don’t have that,” Draco stated, knowing that he didn’t need to even check to see. He never kept milk around the house, his guests too infrequent for it to be worth it and never touching the stuff himself. Still, it filled him with a level of embarrassment, finding that he desperately wanted to be able to at least make Potter’s tea right, yet that was escaping him too.
It felt embarrassing to be seen in such a way, feeling that it was making cracks in the veneer of the perfect image that his family had spent years to create. It wasn’t the first time he had been made to be uncomfortable with the weight of what people expected from his and his family and he had no doubt in his mind that it wouldn’t be the last either.
Somehow, it was all worse by it being Potter though.
With their shared history, it probably shouldn’t bother Draco as much, yet it made him sick to his stomach to have Potter see how he lived and get close to him like that. It was disgusting and Draco loathed it more than anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:38 am 

The reply made Harry blink again, an almost delirious sense of surprise. Muddled between conversations of curses and dark artefacts, the fact that Malfoy didn’t keep milk was, above anything else, a strangely personal tidbit to learn about him. It almost managed to bring a disoriented little smile to Harry’s lip, steadily feeling like he was losing his focus.
"Plain’s fine," Harry reassured, his voice unexpectedly gentle. It wasn’t anything worth getting hung up about, and still Harry got the impression that it had sent Malfoy for a loop. He would have taken his tea as it had been served, had Malfoy not asked in the first place.
Harry didn’t know how to address that, attempting to soothe it with a delayed, "Thanks."
Instinctively, as if Malfoy had already offered him a cup, Harry had shifted forward in his seat. Not knowing how to proceed, if at all, his eyes drifted from Malfoy’s shoulders to the tabletop. Thoughtlessly, he brushed his palm across it, unsurprised to find it meticulously clean. "Do you do your work from here?"

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:10 pm 

Despite the fact that Potter clearly wasn’t too bothered by the lack of milk in Draco’s kitchen, he still made a mental note to make sure to have milk for the morning. It was a small thing, but it was something that made Draco feel like he had his life more together.
“I do,” he said, as he placed the cup of plain tea in front of Potter. He took a seat at the dinette as well, finding the arrangement too intimate, but also not feeling like asking Potter to move to the drawing room. It was a strange situation and Draco figured that he was going to end up in many weird situations with Potter the next couple of days.
“I inherited the manor, so I thought that I could put all the space to good use,” he stated, as if he was using much more than a fraction of the manor.
Even when it had been he and his parents, the manor had been for too big for them and now that Draco was alone in it, it was simply absurd. However, it was also the best option for Draco with what he wanted to study, so he made do.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:35 pm 

Though Harry had hardly expected anything else given the size of the manor, it still eased his breathing. In the pit of his stomach, he realized it had offered some confirmation that Malfoy didn’t intend on locking the Manor doors behind him before leaving to do his work off site. He nodded in confirmation.
"Makes sense," he agreed, and though it was filled with good intention there was as little real substance in his voice, as there was in the gesture of offering him tea. It didn’t mean Harry had appreciated the sentiment any less, though, so he willed a little smile, delayed.
He leaned forward, both elbows on the small table. Force of Muggle-raised habit, Harry picked off his glasses before they could steam up, abandoning them onto the table without folding them.
"The tests you said you would run," Harry asked through the steam rising between them, Malfoy just barely within his depth of focus. Shifting forward had his fingers thoughtlessly finding bowl of the cup, relishing the scorching heat of the porcelain even in the tentative warmth of the English spring. He was feeling the loss of layers, and while the tea soothed the chill it didn’t keep the exhaustion at bay.
The sparse information Malfoy had offered up about the tests made it hard to form a confident sentence. Harry paused for a moment, before accepting the utterly transparent, "Do you need me for those? Now, that is."

Last edited by Nymeria on Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:58 pm 

It didn’t take a lot of reading between the lines for Draco to realise that Potter probably was exhausted.
He really should have insisted that he needed some rest, but Draco also knew that Potter really didn’t have a track record of enjoying to be told what to do. He would just have to make this work for them and then hope that he didn’t accidentally managed to kill the saviour of the wizarding world. As if he needed that extra headache.
“No, I’d need to calibrate the equipment I do have anyway,” Draco stated, brushing a hair that had loosened itself from the bun on top of his head behind his ear, before taking a sip of tea. It was painfully British of him, but the tea really did help to soothe his nerves and make him feel more at ease in the situation. It was never going to be easy, nor comfortable, but all in all, he felt that it was manageable.
“I will show you to your room, Coote should be done by now.”

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:18 am 

Though Harry would argue that he had no lingering resentments towards Malfoy - in fact, Harry had hardly thought of the other man in the passing decade - the sense of humanity of their interaction still caught Harry by surprise. Harry heard it in the gracious offer to let him rest for a moment, and he saw it in the frizz of Malfoy’s hair and how the steam made it curl. His eye followed Malfoy’s hand as he tucked the strand of hair behind his ear; Harry didn’t know what to make of it.
"I’d appreciate that," he said, words reverberating against the porcelain as he raised his cup to his lip. His eyes returned onto Malfoy’s as he took a drink. "Thanks."

_____

When Harry finally woke, the sun had just dipped beneath the horizon, purple light flooding through the windows. He had struggled to even recognize the room, anxiety immediately leaving his chest in knots so effectively that Harry could have thought he was having a nightmare. As soon as the context reappeared in his consciousness, Harry had slumped back against the mattress, marveled by how easily 8 hours of sleep fogged up any recollection of blue lights flashing. Harry felt the implications Malfoy’s words resettle like the bloom of a hangover.
A few minutes later, Harry ventured out of the room, redressed in the same shirt for the third time today; he blinked into the darkness of the hallway. Brain still sleep-muddled, he stood watching the asymmetry of the lighting on the wall across from him, only the right-hand sconce illuminating the hallway.
Turning his head towards it, Harry saw the lights illuminate before him, the cast-off light giving away that the lights had continued to turn on around only the left-hand corner at the end of the hallway. It made Harry grin, genuine and surprised. As he set about to follow the illuminated path back towards the main body of the manor, he wondered whether the ingenuity was to be attributed Malfoy or the house elves.
Harry wouldn’t have recognized his way back in the dark, but by the time he was descending the stairs down into the entrance hall, he realized the lights were directing him back through to the kitchen. He paused by the foot of the stairs and, thought there was truth in the fact that he should probably dine before anything else, it was the soft putter from a still-darkened hallway that gave away that Malfoy wasn’t waiting on him for tea at the kitchen.
Taking a moment of consideration, Harry took the left turn, venturing further into the Manor. Mercifully, the lights illuminated as he approached them, though no longer serving to mark a path.
It took Harry longer to find Malfoy’s study than it had taken to find the kitchen; Golden light illuminated the floor from the seam between the door and the toe kick.
By then, the room had once again grown quiet, leaving Harry absent mindedly hovering at the door to listen. Then, finally, he knocked. "Malfoy?"

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:03 pm 

Draco had lost track of time, as he did so often when he got to work, that the sudden knock on the door to his study startled him. How Potter had even managed to find his study in the first place, the manor resembling more of a maze these days, was a mystery to Draco, but he decided not to question it.
“It’s not locked,” he stated, keeping his eyes on the notebook he was frantically making notes in. His notes were still messy, Draco having not been able to get down anything really coherent just yet, but he knew that it was a part of his process and once he got to rewrite his notes, he would probably be able to make more connections.
He briefly glanced at the clock on the wall and realised that several hours had past since Coote had brought him a sandwich, which he had only half eaten. He was too caught up in the work that he wanted to do, having a great many thoughts on how to approach this subject, but completely unable to figure out the best way to start.
“Is the room to your liking?” Draco asked, figuring that the question probably was stupid, seeing as Potter hadn’t left said room for as many hours as Draco had been working, but it seemed like the polite thing to ask.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm 

True to his word, the door to Malfoy’s study easily opened when Harry turned the handle. The study that revealed itself to him was simultaneous unexpected, and frankly, the only thing that could ever have been appropriate.
The walls were covered in ceiling height bookshelves, even the far one which Harry thought to be an exterior wall and which had undoubtedly once contained a window. It made the room exceptionally quiet, even as Harry let the door stay at bay behind him. It made Harry doubt what he had heard in the first place, back at the hall, because Malfoy was easily sat at his desk, and the room was so insulated with books that Harry barely heard his own steps.
Though Malfoy had already stated he had spent a decade researching the field, it still felt like an overwhelming amount of stuff to attest to research in a field that was so utterly abstract. It made Harry’s mind blank, trying to take it all in, every corner and shelf holding something that piqued his interest.
It took Harry a moment to even realize Malfoy was asking about the bedroom and not the study.
"Yeah," Harry replied, surprised that he was even asked. His eyes returned onto Malfoy, though the sheer contents of the room made it hard to keep his attention from drifting.
When he continued, his eyes were skipping over the bookshelf on his right, turning to follow the shelves as they framed the doorway. "Didn’t come with a Healer to wake me once an hour to make sure I wasn’t concussed."
Harry shifted, turning so that he could meet Malfoy’s eye. He spoke with a smile, small but genuine. "It was great."
Reluctantly stepping away from the books, Harry stepped further into the room; his hands found the pockets of his trousers, an active attempt to keep his hands off of Malfoy’s plentiful collection. "Have you been working all day?"

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:02 pm 

As Draco realised that Potter was taking in his study, he finally put the quill away, finding that he wanted to see if he could see the room from a strangers eyes. It was a difficult thing to do, as his study was probably the room that Draco spent the most time in, but it didn’t seem like Potter was looking at it with anything but curiosity, so Draco tried desperately not to overthink it.
After all, it wasn’t all that important whether or not Potter liked his study, even if they were both going to spend a lot of time there in the coming days.
“I’m glad,” he said, refraining from giving into the urge of apologising for not having a healer on hand, before he realised that Potter was pleased about it. It was clear that he probably hadn’t managed to sleep a lot since leaving St. Mungos, so it made sense that just about any bed would do.
“Yes, I wanted to map out possible ways we could go down, also depending on the results I get from the different tests I intend on running,” Draco stated, indicating at the notebook that was lying open, the quill resting next to it.
Draco’s handwriting was tight and neat, written small and concise such that he would get the most out of every page. Despite this, he had more than one shelf dedicated to his filled out notebooks, not wanting to throw any of them away, just in case he would need something later on. Something else that was noticeable about the way that Draco took notes, was that he took his notes in french, having gotten into the habit years ago and having never managed to shake it.
“I am going into this pretty blind, but I think I might have found the best place to start,” he added, running a hand through his hair, which was hanging loose around his face. Earlier, he had stuck his wand into it to hold his bun, but he had taken it out when he needed to use it and now it was resting on the table next to him.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:34 pm 

Malfoy suddenly became the most interesting thing in the room as soon as Harry realized he had spent an entire day drawing up hypotheticals. Harry’s Healer had known of his concerns for a month and had yet to suggest a single possible solution – or explanation, for that matter. The fact that Malfoy was speaking in multitudes sent a thrill down Harry’s spine, immediately shaking the last grip of sleep.
Something in his expression changed, brows quirking for a moment, before finally approaching the desk, mind far removed from the trinkets littering the surfaces.
"What’d you come up with?" he asked, genuinely interested.
Harry had stopped a few feet from the desk; from there he could see that even if he had been closer, he wouldn’t have been able to make sense of Malfoy’s minute writing. It meant Harry’s eyes returned onto Malfoy, searching for the answers there.
Harry wasn’t even sure what he was looking for. He learned that Malfoy’s hair was far longer than expected, something that made his eyes wander when Malfoy pushed it away from his face. It wasn’t particularly useful information, though Harry could almost feel it being stored deep down in his subconsciousness, his mental image of Draco Malfoy, age 16, correcting itself to match the present; Draco Malfoy, age 29, no milk and long hair.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:01 pm 

Everything about the situation had been surreal right from the get go, yet Draco found that every second the situation got more and more bizarre.
It had been one thing for Draco that Potter had even asked for his help in the first place, but the fact that Potter also seemed to be interested in his work was a whole other. He had expected an absolute minimum of interest, if any level of interest at all, so for him to actually have to explain any part of the process to Potter was sending his thoughts on loop.
“Well, first I want to find out exactly where the magic is,” he said matter of factly, finding that that was the obvious place to start. He knew that the magic was coming from Potter himself, otherwise it wouldn’t have activated his ward like that, but he wanted to get specifics before he started to work on too many solutions. He feared that the magic would be lodged close to Potter’s heart, which would make it very tricky to get out without hurting him, but he would have to run his diagnostics before worrying about that.
“And then I would also like to check the severity of the magic you are carrying,” he added, looking down on his notes, as if he didn’t have it all freshly in mind already.
The opportunities were endless, but their continued path was going to depend on the result of those two diagnostics.
“And then we are going to have to take it from there.”

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm 

Harry blinked at the concrete two step plan; though Malfoy spoke as if that was the bare minimum, two general assertions, to Harry it felt like plenty.
"You can do that on a person?" he asked, the pleasant surprise of someone who had abandoned a similar idea in his voice. It made a smile tug at the corner of his mouth.
Harry knew enough placement spells to be used in the field, though he usually relied on Cursebreakers to carry out anything much more complicated than searching out glamours. He hadn’t considered any of the spells he knew and used to be safe to use on organic matter, though, to be honest, he hadn’t pushed for it when it hadn’t been suggested as an option at St. Mungo’s.
There was no worry in his addition, his mind going through a decade of dismantlings trying to ground Malfoy’s suggestion in practical experience. He stumbled upon the memory of a trapped corpse a few years after the war, and how a Cursebreaker had located an explosive curse lodged into the scull. Harry didn’t think there had been any worries about causing tissue trauma in that particular case.
Harry felt the restless curiosity in the tips of his fingers, making him withdraw his hands from his pockets; instead, he loosely crossed them over his chest, absentmindedly tipping to the balls of his feet.
"Will you be able to distinguish between foreign and native magic?" Harry added, the question genuine, as he realized that that must be the biggest hurdle in the exercise, and maybe why Harry had yet to hear of it widely used.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next